Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What battery is in the Model Y LR RWD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Mobile Connector is the best value and offers the most long term options. I have been using it for 5 months and it charges somewhere around 7.5Kw per hour. I didnt expect to need to use it in other conditions, but then repainted the garage floor and couldn’t park in it for 2 weeks. Mobile charger to a wall outlet - 1.5 Kw per hour but it did what I needed - can also take it on a trip even though you might not plant to , you never know what will come up.

We just ordered a MYLRRWD, which will be delivered in a week or two.
This is a new product configuration. Does anyone know what batteries it uses?
And what's the best choice for a portable charger?
As stated above MY RWD uses NCA battery -- NOT LPF battery.

If you want a "portable" EVSE you definitely want to go with the Tesla Mobile Connector.

If your home's electrical system has the capacity, you will want to to have a licensed electrician install a 240 volt NEMA 14-50 receptacle with a 50 amp GFCI breaker, the appropriate size wire, and a quality Hubbell receptacle. This will give you the best charging experience using the TMC with 32 amp charging, ~7.5 kW.

If you have limited capacity on your electrical service and you cannot install a 50 circuit, any 240 volt circuit is better than using a 120 volt circuit, which is painfully slow, when using the Tesla Mobile Connector. NEMA Adapters are made for 15, 20, 30, and 50 amp 240 volt circuits

Whilst the Tesla Mobile Connector will give perfectly satisfactory service, most people on this forum recommend to install a Tesla Wall Connector if you have a place to do that. The cost is usually similar because the TWC does not require an expensive GFCI circuit breaker and Hubbell receptacle.

The TWC can be inside a garage or it can be installed outdoors on the side of your house or on a pedestal. If installed on a 60 amp circuit, this will give you 48 amp charging, on a 50 amp circuit it will give you 40 amp charging. No need for a GFCI breaker.

Even if you cannot install a 60 or 50 amp circuit, you can use a smaller 240 circuit with the Tesla Wall Connector. If you have limited electrical capacity, the TWC can be installed on as little as a 15 amp 240 volt circuit. But install it on as large a circuit as your capacity allows.

Be sure your electrician uses the correct size wire as EV charging is considered a continuous load and must be derated to 80% of its noncontinuous rating. We have found some electricians, and many handymen, do not understand this.