Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are there so many different threads for each OS release?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
I get that it may be different features on each car, but more often it's different features based on the features you paid for with your car. Shouldn't we have the software discussions for each OS be in the Software forum and then we stub out a link to that thread when the OS first appears and those links are in each forum?

For example:
2020.12.11.1 Incoming
Software version 2020.12.11.1
2020.12.11.1 rolling out...
AP FSD Unexpected lane departure - 2020.12.11.1
MXLR+ no FSD SoCal receiving 20.12.11.1
There may be some gems in one of those threads, but I am following another one hoping to find out all there is to know about this release.

Can the admins MOVE all the posts from these to an official one? Would the people who were subscribed to these see new posts in the official one after their posts were moved?

I have been reporting these today, several times. In the Model 3 forum there are 3 different 2020.12.11.1 threads - couldn't they be merged into one? I'm not sure about merging all of those threads you listed - I think model specific ones should stay in their respective forums.

This has been discussed for years. And that’s the basic answer. If you created one place; people still need to go there. And they don’t/won’t. Like any database (forum), being a librarian is a full time job, if you want to constantly move and combine threads. I’d give up too if I were one of the mods.

Because people do not look for existing threads before starting new ones, plus as new owners buy Teslas, they get fascinated by the software process and obsessed with new releases. It wears off.

Also, everyone wants to be "FIRST" so they don't even bother looking for a existing thread because they're convinced they're special and the first one to get a new release AND the first one to post about it. :rolleyes:

If I had posted to the original threads or I just was watching, does the act of merging the threads or moving my posts set the new thread as watched? Or do I lose sight of the posts after the Mod does h/is/er mod thing?

If I had posted to the original threads or I just was watching, does the act of merging the threads or moving my posts set the new thread as watched? Or do I lose sight of the posts after the Mod does h/is/er mod thing?

Once post is moved. One can see Avatar in merged thread. Not usually a starter of threads. I see many posts move to the all mighty "MASTER THREAD". Not sure on the watched aspect.