Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tire Reccomendation.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a little confused with the dynamics of wheels and tires. So my situation is my previous car was a Audi Q5 2018 and I had purchased Pirelli Scorpion 255/45R20 Winter Ice Tires (Just the rubber). Now that I have returned the Q5 and drive a Model Y LR am I supposed to just purchase a set of 20" wheels and bring it to a shop to install both Tire and Wheel in order to mount on the Model y? If so is there a type of wheel I should look out for in order to get the best range efficentcy?

You have a lot of options, depending on budget. You could buy only the tires and swap them on your existing wheels, or go with a dedicated winter wheel and tire combination. Given where you live, I would go with a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires - and I'd go down to 19" diameter for more rubber. I'm assuming you've got online resources in Canada to shop for wheels/tires, but there are vendors in the group that probably ship to Canada too.

Your Long Range Model Y with the 20" Induction wheels comes with Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5 (M+S) Ultra High Performance All-Season tires. If you go skiing you would probably want a set of dedicated winter tires. The issue you may have is that by now many brands and sizes of winter tires to fit the Tesla Model Y may be sold out until next year.

You can go a bit wider and with a taller sidewall than the OE tire size (255/40R-20 101W XL) and still fit the 20" Induction wheels and the Model Y. If you don't mind the additional expense of buying a set of wheels you can purchase a set of either 19" or 20" wheels with the appropriate winter tires. (It is not unusual to select a 1" smaller diameter wheel when fitting winter tires. The added sidewall height may help protect the wheels from damage when encountering pot holes.)

If you decide to purchase wheels and winter tires note that you will need to purchase a set of (4) Tesla tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) sensors (specifically made for the Tesla Model 3 and Model Y) for the new wheels or else transfer the TPMS sensors from your existing wheels. TPMS can be sometimes be ordered with the wheels (when available) else they can be purchased from your local Tesla service center.)

Tirerack.com and Discount tire are two good online sources when shopping tires.

You can read about tire specification markings, what they mean, here: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

To compare different tire sizes you can use this site: Tire Size Comparison

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I currently still have the Pirelli Scorpion 255/45R20 Winter Ice Tires that I removed from my old car Q5 but my model Y LR comes with the 19". So the 20inch Pirellis can fit? or Should I get new wheels?

The Long Range Model Y with 19" Gemini wheels comes with Continental Procontact RX (size 255/45R-19 104Y XL) grand touring all-season tires. These tires are OK for most driving but are marginal at best for winter driving on snow and ice.

Your least expensive option would be to get winter tires for the 19" Gemini wheels that came with your Long Range Model Y. Supplies are limited so you might have to settle for a different brand than you would otherwise choose. Any winter tire is going to be demonstrably superior to an all-season tire when it comes to starting, stopping and maintaining control on snow and ice.

Last edited:
Oh. Yeah, I should have read for your post more carefully. As others already said, you will need 20" wheels for your existing 20" snow tires. However, I think the sidewall on those tires might be too tall for the Model Y. Research that first.. it will help you decide the best way forward. Although I still recommend dedicated winter wheels and tires.