Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTB: 2021-2022 Model S Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appreciate all the info in this thread and the other one. When you look at current Model S Refresh pricing, it’s hard to justify the Long Range compared to the Plaid. With some hard haggling, I think I could get a Long Range right now for about 64-65K but it wouldn’t have FSD and maybe not even the Arachnids. On the other hand, if you play your cards right, you could potentially snag a Plaid with FSD and Arachnids for $80K or so. The Plaid is by far the better bang for the buck. You see the 21’s and FSD on the Plaid so much more frequently than you do on the LR, presumably because the people who tended to order the Plaid were more ballers than those who bought the LR. So they fully optioned out their Plaids whereas not a lot of LR owners did the same…

I think the reason you see the base wheel on a lot of the LR models is the price, not sure what they were a few years ago but no way would I pay $4500 for a set of them that Tesla charges on the current model. For $4500, I would pick a different wheel on my own or something cheaper.

I cancelled my Model Y order today because I want a Model S refresh. Like you, my max budget is 65k so I may have to wait a few months for prices to come down more. The Model Y was hard to resist at 46k after rebate, but in the end it was never what I really wanted. I want the Model S, so better to just wait for one to come up in my price range.

No FSD is perfectly fine with me, it adds no value to me for my use. I would rather rent it for the month when I take a long trip. That's the only time I would use it.

The ag21's 2022 model S that he posted is a heck of a buy at 75k, I would be all over that if I could afford it. It does reaffirm to me that a 2021 refresh isn't worth more than 60k to 65k at the most. I see a lot of them for sale on dealer lots, but they aren't moving. Give them a few months and reality will start to set in and you should be able to get one.

Thanks for the info and leads guys, much appreciated. I’m hoping to find one in CA. Leaning more towards a Plaid now because the difference is only 10-15K and there are so many more to choose from too.

I have zero interest in FSD and wouldn’t use it at all. I’d be buying it simply because of the value it adds to the car. It would help me in the future when I go to sell the car.

I want one with the 21” Arachnids because they seem to sell relatively well in the 2-3K range on here and I’ve seen some 19” Tempest wheel and tire sets for as little as a grand. So it’s an easy way to knock a grand or two off the purchase price effectively.

Reactions: tjkenny15
I just bought a 22 Plaid, started looking for a 21 but then honed in on the late 22. I ended up with a late 22 Plaid with ceramic coated, full stealth PPF from new, FSD and 21's with 9K miles for $88K. A few thoughts on value, the post June 22 with 470K+ VIN offers the new headlights which are much better than the old ones, new tail lights and the tilt screen. There are probably a bunch of other changes from the original release car as well, certainly the 22's appear to be a bit faster with the 1/8mile time going down from low 6's to high 5's. All of the Plaids have the same issues, creaking trim, vibrating half shafts, inner rear tire wear and they all get stone chips with the wider body (PPF needed), most of these issues are in the LR as well. The power difference between the LR and Plaid is enormous, the Plaid is just outright brutal and probably totally unneccsary for the road. The standard 19" LR Tempest rear wheels are narrower than the Plaid wheels so check to see what car they came off, I'd love a set of 19" Plaid wheels/tires for a $1K if you find a spare set.

Attachments

• IMG_1532.JPG
    IMG_1532.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I just bought a 22 Plaid, started looking for a 21 but then honed in on the late 22. I ended up with a late 22 Plaid with ceramic coated, full stealth PPF from new, FSD and 21's with 9K miles for $88K. A few thoughts on value, the post June 22 with 470K+ VIN offers the new headlights which are much better than the old ones, new tail lights and the tilt screen. There are probably a bunch of other changes from the original release car as well, certainly the 22's appear to be a but faster with the 1/8mile time going down from low 6's to high 5's. All of the Plaids have the same issues, creaking trim, vibrating half shafts, inner rear tire wear and they all get stone chips with the wider body (PPF needed), most of these issues are in the LR as well. The power difference between the LR and Plaid is enormous, the Plaid is just outright brutal and probably totally unneccsary for the road. The standard 19" LR Tempest rear wheels are narrower than the Plaid wheels so check to see what car they came off, I'd love a set of 19" Plaid wheels/tires for a $1K if you find a spare set.
Wow incredible deal. Congrats!