Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my premium connectivity expired today,
The map is always offline - it's loaded onto the car. Premium Connectivity gives you satellite and traffic overlays onto the map.

Note that even if you have your own Spotify account you can't play it using the car's Spotify app if you don't have Premium connectivity or if the car is not connected to wifi. Phone hotspot won't work according to some people. You can Bluetooth the Spotify audio to the car sound system

The map is always offline - it's loaded onto the car. Premium Connectivity gives you satellite and traffic overlays onto the map.

Note that even if you have your own Spotify account you can't play it using the car's Spotify app if you don't have Premium connectivity or if the car is not connected to wifi. Phone hotspot won't work according to some people. You can Bluetooth the Spotify audio to the car sound system
yeah, that's exactly what I did today, Bluetooth the car with my phone. I don't feel a need for those overlay, but i still navigate on tesla to get the battery usage readings

yeah, that's exactly what I did today, Bluetooth the car with my phone. I don't feel a need for those overlay, but i still navigate on tesla to get the battery usage readings
If you use your phone as a hotspot (on top of Bluetooth for audio) make sure you select to keep it connected when in drive.
There can be an outage if your car normally connects to home wifi for updates and then you drive away.
I tried it like once it was annoying so figured I’d rather pay $10pm to not have to worry or think about it.

Hi - so I've had my new Model 3 Highland RWD for about a month now but I've noticed that the max on 100% charge is only 399 kms. I never expected it to be close to the WLTP but 399 seems ways too low. Can I ask what range do others gets with a similar set up? thanks in advance
399km is EPA estimated range with 19" wheels and ~435km is EPA with 18" aero wheels. You can prove this out by going to the service screen of your Model 3 and switching the wheels to aeros ... it will update the KM range displayed.

• Informative
Reactions: cafz and Hairyman
399km is EPA estimated range with 19" wheels and ~435km is EPA with 18" aero wheels. You can prove this out by going to the service screen of your Model 3 and switching the wheels to aeros ... it will update the KM range displayed.
Personally I was a bit disappointed as the RWD 'Highland' actually displays a slightly lower range than the 2022/23 RWD (which was approx. 445km with aero wheels).

Just passed 8,500km today. Still loving it. Got my UMC updated by Tesla, has made a pretty big difference to my overnight recharges, more than I expected, almost make it back to 80% overnight - an achievement given my 300-ish daily commute and terribly low hours at home sleeping!

Had a service appointment last week, drop off and pickup couldn't be better.

Not sure if they were trying to save face but I got a few 'couldn't replicate' but then found it no longer a problem when I picked it up.

I've had a few super long days back to back that have got me home with 3-7% charge remaining, and while absolutely packing it (Ivan Milat country) it's actually got home spot on the estimate from 150km previous, including Sydney peak hour traffic.

Best thing the other night I didn't have enough to make it home, stopped at an Ampol charge point, plugged in, went inside and grabbed a coffee and by the time I got back to the car had enough charge to get home. Would have taken longer in an ICE as I'd have to have stood there and waited for the pump. Did experience the steam coming from bonnet though during charging, probably didn't help the EV reputation for fires as when I stepped outside some poop came out when I saw the clouds billowing from under the bonnet, a few people were looking pretty closely. I haven't seen it happen before but it was super low state of charge and a very cold / wet evening.

Just passed 8,500km today. Still loving it. Got my UMC updated by Tesla, has made a pretty big difference to my overnight recharges, more than I expected, almost make it back to 80% overnight - an achievement given my 300-ish daily commute and terribly low hours at home sleeping!

Had a service appointment last week, drop off and pickup couldn't be better.

Not sure if they were trying to save face but I got a few 'couldn't replicate' but then found it no longer a problem when I picked it up.

I've had a few super long days back to back that have got me home with 3-7% charge remaining, and while absolutely packing it (Ivan Milat country) it's actually got home spot on the estimate from 150km previous, including Sydney peak hour traffic.

Best thing the other night I didn't have enough to make it home, stopped at an Ampol charge point, plugged in, went inside and grabbed a coffee and by the time I got back to the car had enough charge to get home. Would have taken longer in an ICE as I'd have to have stood there and waited for the pump. Did experience the steam coming from bonnet though during charging, probably didn't help the EV reputation for fires as when I stepped outside some poop came out when I saw the clouds billowing from under the bonnet, a few people were looking pretty closely. I haven't seen it happen before but it was super low state of charge and a very cold / wet evening.
Congratulations, glad to hear you are loving it! The extra speed will certainly help at home now your UMC is updated.
Yeah I had steam come from mine when I was over in Victoria on a few cold night charging and those fans ramp up.
If someone says “hey look it’s an ev with its engine on fire” can always pop the bonnet haha

Funny experience on the road just now. Had a Ford Raptor come flying up beside me then just sat there with the guy having a good look all over the car.

Get to a set of lights and he winds down the window and is leaning over wanting to talk to me, I'm thinking here we go as I wind mine down (good case of poor stereotyping), he says "that car looks f'ing awesone" lol

Goes to show you can't put all drivers of a particular type in one bucket.
I hope not. My ICE is a Ford Ranger. Not a Raptor, although I've poured enough money into it to buy a Raptor 2x over...

Reactions: Jules22
If you use your phone as a hotspot (on top of Bluetooth for audio) make sure you select to keep it connected when in drive.
There can be an outage if your car normally connects to home wifi for updates and then you drive away.
I tried it like once it was annoying so figured I’d rather pay $10pm to not have to worry or think about it.
But the updates will still need a hotspot to proceed, with my one-month trial premium connectivity, I had a total of two updates, and both needed me to use wifi/hotspot

But the updates will still need a hotspot to proceed, with my one-month trial premium connectivity, I had a total of two updates, and both needed me to use wifi/hotspot
Correct, you will need wifi at some stage for updates etc.
I was referring to the option in the Tesla UI - wifi - hotspot connection to keep the connection while in drive. If you don’t, the wifi will disconnect in drive.