Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess that was the 12.4 release this weekend musk was talking about

They must be pretty confident in 12.4 if they're already giving demonstrations to former world leaders. Probably part of a charm-offensive for favorable legislation on autonomy in the EU/UK.

Also we know it probably wasn't a demo of 12.5 because it did not respond to a valet's hand gestures, which in the article Tesla says they're working on and in a recent tweet Elon said should be working by 12.5.

merging into an empty lane with no cars within 100 feet is hardly aggressive or overconfident
There are many possibilities including the possibility ithat the lane change does not help with the next move ie taking an exit.

Another possibility I can put forth is there is a vehicle in the other lane that is significantly faster than you are. In this case, it will not switch lanes and rather let the faster vehicle go by.

It seems like Tesla gave a demo of 12.4 to Boris Johnson in LA. There's no mention of the FSD version, but there's a short video at the top of the article that shows Johnson with his hands on his knees and not on the wheel. There's also a quote "Instinctively I reach for the wheel; my toe twitches for the brake; but I need not have worried." indicating that it was hands-free.
Where does it say that it is 12.4? Didn't see it in the article. Did Ashok confirm it in a post?

EDIT: I see you say "seems" so maybe based off the video, though it was only 30 seconds so easily within wheel nag.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Can’t wait for the nav to go away
Drives me nuts....
What does that mean and how on earth does it "drive you nuts"? You are NOT required to look at it and you can even go full screen on the street view. There will always HAVE to be Navigation running to know where the car is going but even driving you don't have to look at it.

Last edited:
What does that mean and how on earth does it "drive you nuts"? You are NOT required to look at it and you can even go full screen on the street view. There will always HAVE to be Navigation running to know where the car is going but even driving you don't have to look at it.
Typo, I think he meant "nag".

Elon mentioned that HW4 is being downrezzed to HW3 in current evolutions of FSD--so there shouldn't be any significant differences between HW3 and HW4 right now.
If all that’s being done is a resolution shift it shouldn’t matter much. The difference in processing power between HW3 and HW4 should more than make up for the transformation. My question would be whether the images are actually equivalent. Often times resolution shifts introduce some noise and that may affect the system performance.

There are many possibilities including the possibility ithat the lane change does not help with the next move ie taking an exit.

Another possibility I can put forth is there is a vehicle in the other lane that is significantly faster than you are. In this case, it will not switch lanes and rather let the faster vehicle go by.
Yes, those could be possibilities except they’re not what’s going on. (In fact one time I was trying to merge right in anticipation of an upcoming exit and it refused.)

Bottom line is the merging in v12 has taken a step backwards.

Reactions: Dennisis
If all that’s being done is a resolution shift it shouldn’t matter much. The difference in processing power between HW3 and HW4 should more than make up for the transformation. My question would be whether the images are actually equivalent. Often times resolution shifts introduce some noise and that may affect the system performance.
Remember, 12.3.6 is running with software that has 2 stacks. One for city and then V11 for highway, which is filled with the old c++ code. When they merge the highway stack and have full e2e software, the space for the software will open up and compute speed should increase, therfore reducing lag and hopefully better performance.

It seems like Tesla gave a demo of 12.4 to Boris Johnson in LA. There's no mention of the FSD version, but there's a short video at the top of the article that shows Johnson with his hands on his knees and not on the wheel. There's also a quote "Instinctively I reach for the wheel; my toe twitches for the brake; but I need not have worried." indicating that it was hands-free.

He mentions the car had "dozens of tiny cameras."

Otherwise he's not wrong when he says self driving is the future as that's been Tesla's story for a number of years now.

He mentions the car had "dozens of tiny cameras."

It is strange that Tesla didn't copy-edit the article for correctness before publishing, given it sounds like they arranged the test drive. But I could see Johnson being shown "there's 2 cameras here, one here, one here, one on the trunk" and inferring from that "dozens" without asking how many total cameras. I can't see him holding the wheel and then later being confused about whether he was holding it or not.

Even when there is no traffic and no visibility blocking, FSD still waits too long to turn from a 20 mph street to a 30 mph street or from a parking lot to a 30 mph street. I am very frustrated with those situations.
Sometimes it has a lot of audacity, sometimes a lot of timidity.

FSD has gotten uncannily good at understanding human intent.

For instance, today we were on the way to the gym. But instead it took me into the Steak n Shake drive through!

Maybe that was because it tried to make a uturn at a narrow spot, bailed into left turn, wandered around a parking lot and encountered a convenient drive through.

Or it knows me far too well and was intentional. We may never know.
Has anyone had a mapped route where FSD turns onto a state road, goes .1 tenth of mile and simply stops and stays in the middle of the lane where the route indicates a U-turn? Then displays a message the maneuver isn't supported? The car won't do anything but block the lane. Been doing this for 2 1/2 years.

1716139604003.png

"Downrezzed" was not a good term. Elon used "Emulated". I have no insight into what they're doing to emulate HW4 as HW3.