Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP availability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the US, the M3 RWD has had LFP battery for at least a year. MY RWD in the US is unlikely to have LFP because it's qualified for $7500 tax credit. As far as I know, LFP battery pack are not made in US yet. I have seen posts about Canadian MY RWD with LFP despite being from Fremont. It makes sense since both M3 and MY are designed to fit the same battery pack; if Fremont can build M3 RWD with LFP, then they certainly can build MY RWD with LFP.

In the US, the M3 RWD has had LFP battery for at least a year. MY RWD in the US is unlikely to have LFP because it's qualified for $7500 tax credit. As far as I know, LFP battery pack are not made in US yet. I have seen posts about Canadian MY RWD with LFP despite being from Fremont. It makes sense since both M3 and MY are designed to fit the same battery pack; if Fremont can build M3 RWD with LFP, then they certainly can build MY RWD with LFP.
When did you pick up your M3 RWD? I thought up until Mar 2023 it qualified for the full $7500 but starting Apr 2023 to Dec 2023 it still had the $3750 credit. But if you picked it up before end of Mar 2023, it doesn't mean it doesn't have LFP because there was that short window where the IRS rules were not officially established yet. The way you can tell if you have a LFP battery is to look at your charging menu and see if it has hash marks for 90% daily limit. If it has the 90% daily limit charge, then you have the NCM battery. If it allows you to charge to 100% then you have the LFP battery.
If you picked it up sometime in 2024 that would be odd.

Last edited:
When did you pick up your M3 RWD? I thought up until Mar 2023 it qualified for the full $7500 but starting Apr 2023 to Dec 2023 it still had the $3750 credit. But if you picked it up before end of Mar 2023, it doesn't mean it doesn't have LFP because there was that short window where the IRS rules were not officially established yet. The way you can tell if you have a LFP battery is to look at your charging menu and see if it has hash marks for 90% daily limit. If it has the 90% daily limit charge, then you have the NCM battery. If it allows you to charge to 100% then you have the LFP battery.
If you picked it up sometime in 2024 that would be odd.
The OP is about LFP availability in M3 or MY. According to Watch Tesla Model 3 RWD With LFP Battery Get Delivered In U.S., M3 RWD started to have LFP in the US since late 2021. I only mention about tax credit because the current 2024 MY RWD is qualified for it so, it probably doesn't have LFP. Any new US 2024 MY RWD owner can post otherwise.