Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my last drive today FSD adhering to the 30mph drove right past a right hand turn. It will always fail this turn at this posted speed limit. I have to reduce the speed to 20 mph before it will barely make the turn, However, for a turn this obstructed it should slow to 5mph or less, creep and then turn. That is how everyone drives it. Sent photo and additional info to Tesla's FSD beta team.

Most people talk about creeping when pulling out but there are cases where you have to creep turning into a street. Welcome to streets designed during the horse and buggy era!

View attachment 724165

you shouldn't be allowed to plant arborvitae that close to the curb. Wonder if that violates any setback regulations.

• Funny
Reactions: impastu and jebinc
There was zero traffic around so I let FSD make a right on red. It creeps for 10 seconds with the steering wheel flailing around to totally different angles like its parallel parking or something. Car is sticking out like halfway in the intersection and its still creeping so I just hit the accelerator finally and it turned.
I don't wait for creep anymore. I just lightly hold the accelerator till it's closer to a practical stopping point. Then I let go to see if it stops or goes. If it stops, and no one is there, I use the accelerator as I would if turning myself.

Tricky thing about this is that if you override the creep manually for too long, you don't get the feedback on if the car is actually checking for oncoming cars.

Sometimes it's cool to see if the car can do a turn properly, but most of the time, I'm forcing the car to make the turn like I would do it.

FSD beta turned on to a new access road today near a new shopping center and a few seconds later, instead of going straight as it should, it suddenly tried to turn in to a new taco bell parking lot at fairly high speed and nearly drove head on into a big concrete curb. Had I not taken over and saved it, there would have been a lot of damage if the car didn't emergency brake on its own. This was VERY unexpected and sudden. Submitted video and emailed on it.

Be careful everyone!

Tricky thing about this is that if you override the creep manually for too long, you don't get the feedback on if the car is actually checking for oncoming cars.

Yeah, guys need to be really careful with this.

There's a fine line between using the accelerator to help it creep for vis vs. the car thinking, "OK, Boss says to go ahead and go, since he's pressing the go pedal."

After playing with fsd beta for 2 days, I’ve decided I’m going to just check on its progress every update rather than using daily. My car has used its friction brakes more over the last 2 days than my entire time of ownership (almost 2 yrs, over 20k miles). The fsd brakes a lot unnecessarily and much later/harder than I or most humans would. Also gets in the way of other drivers who get on my bumper and generally causes the drive to be more much more stressful…which is ironic since the Tesla is the most relaxing to drive car I’ve driven.
@Wlagrange I plan on using a similar approach. I suspect it will be a long time before I will "want" to use this more frequently when not doing highway driving.

Reactions: impastu
How do you slow down while FSD Beta is being used, without kicking yourself out of FSD Beta?
On a 2017 Model S, is there a certain steering wheel slider to use? I do know you can use the accelerator to temporarily speed up without shutting down FSD.
Thanks.

right scroll wheel on the steering wheel controls AP/FSD set speed for Model 3/Y. Model S has a dedicated AP stalk.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
you shouldn't be allowed to plant arborvitae that close to the curb. Wonder if that violates any setback regulations.
Yes it does but I don't see the town doing anything. In a situation like this I'm fine if FSD simply reroutes. Now when driving at the speed limit the car goes 10 feet past the turn, FSD disengages and the car stops in the road. Just a note the hill is 13% starting at the right hand turn. Wonder if that is contributing to the problem? Just another of a zillion edge cases, good luck Tesla FSD beta team.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: impastu and T-Racer
I totally understand why you guys are done with this version, but where I'm at, there's just so many fringe areas to test, I can't get everything done in the two weeks between version drops.

I still have around 100 miles or so of areas I want to take FSD through.
I can't imagine Tesla not being already overloaded with received data on this version, that they haven't even begun to process, let alone more data to be uploaded by new beta testers coming onboard when the new version drops. I wouldn't worry about not getting everything done in 2 weeks. Tesla almost certainly hasn't.

On the other hand, it is understandable that you might want to do this for yourself. By creating your own test track, you can be in a better position to judge whether new FSD versions are better, or not.

Reactions: impastu and Phlier
Just had my worst drive yet on FSD. Got off work and drove through heavy midtown traffic and it was failure and failure after failure after...... I was cursing out loud at the car and feel like I need a Valium washed down with Tequila.

Our others struggling with TACC staying on after a disengagement? This is a constant problem for me. It seems that a steering wheel disengagement leaves TACC on but a brake (of course) cuts it off. I think the steering wheel should ALWAYS disengage TACC from Beta FSD. When you are in a stressful event you are NOT thinking did I disengage by wheel or brake. TACC NEEDS TO turn OFF.

What do others think?

Just had my worst drive yet on FSD. Got off work and drove through heavy midtown traffic and it was failure and failure after failure after...... I was cursing out loud at the car and feel like I need a Valium washed down with Tequila.

Our others struggling with TACC staying on after a disengagement? This is a constant problem for me. It seems that a steering wheel disengagement leaves TACC on but a brake (of course) cuts it off. I think the steering wheel should ALWAYS disengage TACC from Beta FSD. When you are in a stressful event you are NOT thinking did I disengage by wheel or brake. TACC NEEDS TO turn OFF.

What do others think?
@JulienW I stand by my plan, as mentioned earlier!

Reactions: impastu

What do others think?
There are plenty of AP scenarios where I want to disengage without turning off TACC, including accidental steering disengagements. I'd have no problem with an option as @EVNow suggested in his reply, but I don't think I want it turning off. Sounds like FSD beta is stopping in the middle of the road enough as it is, and I'd rather know it stopped vs wondering if I stopped it.