Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't realize it was that few. Shouldn't be that difficult to have newer vehicles send in a yearly mileage report automatically

To whom? Currently we tax fuel at both state and federal level (and sometimes even at county or local level)- all of them would need this data, and to set up a way to collect, process, and track it too. You'd also need all of them to track ownership so the right person gets taxed.

And depending on vehicle it might be fairly trivial to spoof or block this info at the network level, so you'll need enforcement folks somewhere too.

, older vehicles would require some sort of yearly mileage check station I guess in states which don't already do inspections.

That's telling 35 states to create an entire inspection system they've refused so far to set up even to insure cars on their roads have proper tires and working headlights..... (well, to be fair it's a few less states than that as they could leverage the emissions inspections done in some states that don't require safety inspections but now require EVs to show up for them.... but even then you'll need to convince a fair # of states to create the whole system when they've never had interest in doing it).

FWIW the most common solution I've seen so far to this question is states just slapping a flat tax on annual registration of EVs.

This isn't as "fair" as a per mile tax, because everyone pays the same no matter how much they drive.... but it does remove a LOT of overhead on inspecting/reporting/enforcing.

Reactions: cjkosh
This varies between states- and most often this info is only collected via state inspection... and only 15 states require such an inspection for safety, a couple of those only every 2 years.... Some states require no inspection of any kind.
Maybe so... but the times are gonna change. People won't be free to drive any kind of gas-guzzling polluter they want, with no inspections, ever. That idea will look more and more crazy as the weather and climate gets worse and worse, and carbon pollution is the clear cause for more and more people. There is likely to be tax on the weight+odometer of the vehicle, the pollution bracket of that vehicle as set by EPA, and any deviation above that bracket i.e. if you've modified your vehicle to get more power and are polluting more as a result, you will pay, as a disincentive, when the pollution is measured at yearly inspection. The point is to not modify your vehicle to undo years of careful engineering developments by the manufacturer - and to maintain the pollution so that it doesn't increase as your ICE car gets older.

Owners of classic ICE cars can still tax them normally... the pollution will be terrible, but they hardly drive any miles.

ICE will die off as vocational schools stop teaching ICE mechanics, as gas stations close, as it becomes harder to find parts to repair your car, as older ICE cars get more and more out of adjustment and pollute more => cost more and more to tax, and as riding around in an almost-free driverless BEV looks more and more like the safe, sensible, economical and healthy solution that it will.

BEVs will continue to pay tax based on their weight and miles driven, and Semi logistics firms and robotaxi owners will feel that the most.

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
Stock action in TSLA is bizarre

Showed all sorts of strength yesterday and it's collapsing right now for no apparent reason. And the drop way more pronounced that the macros. I was pretty sure the stock would have outperformed the macro's given yesterdays action.
The only problem is you forgot that we are not allowed to have two green days in a row. Rookie mistake!

Showed all sorts of strength yesterday and it's collapsing right now for no apparent reason. And the drop way more pronounced that the macros. I was pretty sure the stock would have outperformed the macro's given yesterdays action.
As previously mentioned, the 1-year Trendline Tractorbeam has been activated..........reluctantly pulling it towards $600 by the Dark Forces.

I read that. Absolutely no details in the article about the car, and MB’s track record on EVs and their recent statements on the subject have been lacklustre at best.

Ah well, I had a Porsche 911 and learned to take all of the car magazine ‘Is this the 911 beater?’ articles as a compliment. Same with these I guess other than that the Telegraph is a particularly FUDdy rag.

I wonder what the effect on the FUD would be if Tesla started placing adverts, presumably this is what lies behind a lot of it.
I started reading car magazines quite young, and 2 headlines that I recall seeing variations of fairly regularly were: “911 killer” and “ Ferrari fighter”; whenever a company that was launching an inferior product that was seeking the brand segment halo of the reigning champ.

And almost like clockwork, you would read the car review, ( written rather favourably for this newcomer ) and the next page would be a full page ad for this new car that was supposed to dethrone the reigning champ in that particular segment.

I learned 2 things rather early after observing this:

1. The new paid advertising car wasn’t what the paid review and advertising said it was; and

2. It made me want to buy the car that all others were measured by - even more.

Now ; I see the same treatment in the online mags / media with “
The “Tesla killer” moniker being thrown around; and the same look I held for those cars as a kid - in the eyes of little kids when they see a Tesla.

One of my many reasons to HODL.

On days like these, I'd consider moving to the country and eat me a lot of peaches. Not looking at the chart...too concentrated in TSLA to buy more.
P.S. I wish Mr Maurer would have mentioned your name with more gusto. There is an exclamation mark after all.

This is a very informative video describing in detail how Harley Davidson killed itself
Good. I hate those stupid things. And by those I mean Harleys and tariffs. ;)

If the EV charger includes an App designed to report this usage no extra meter would be needed. All that is needed then is an internet connection, or, connection through the power company network over their power lines if such is available for any particular customer.

Tesla already has Autobidder, and modifying this for use in the charger, the car, or elsewhere for reporting the results will further enhance Tesla's leadership role, cement their ability to provide easy low-cost government compliance, and make them a shoe-in for related programs. All of which would be favorable toward increasing the SP over time, while also insuring there is money being collected to cover wear and tear on the infrastructure by EVs.
My Sense monitor does that currently. It's a pretty clever piece of tech.

Reactions: Tslynk67

Could it be that you are assuming rationality when there is none?

I didn't realize it was that few. Shouldn't be that difficult to have newer vehicles send in a yearly mileage report automatically, older vehicles would require some sort of yearly mileage check station I guess in states which don't already do inspections.
My insurance company has an APP. Occasionally they request my od reading and I can just plug it in via the APP. Data tracking is so simple nowadays.

On days like these, I'd consider moving to the country and eat me a lot of peaches. Not looking at the chart...too concentrated in TSLA to buy more.
P.S. I wish Mr Maurer would have mentioned your name with more gusto. There is an exclamation mark after all.
Is there really such a thing as being too concentrated in TSLA? Really? *shakes head no*

Not wishing any anxiety on anyone here, but the SP can stay in the crapper for another couple of weeks if it wishes.

I finally managed to get a shipment of dry powder loaded onto a very slow train. Incredible how pension companies are so affected by Covid when they could have been working from home anyway for the last decade.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
With all this solar at SC talk, I don’t think it is beyond Elon to use surplus power to generate Bitcoin. They would be generating money even if the SuperCharger is not used for charging cars.

No thanks. That might be the last straw for me if they did. If Elon wants to burn a load of energy for no constructive purpose whatsoever because of memes, he should spin up a new 'the stupid company', and not pollute tesla with it.
I'm onboard for accelerating the transition to renewable energy, not for wasting energy while most of it still comes from fossil fuels.