Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like this. Vehicles should be taxed based on miles driven and weight. Those two things are what degrade our roadways. Fuel taxes should continue in some form; that would be more of a carbon tax though, not for roads.
Strictly speaking it's the heavy trucks that do the damage, no issue if they paid their fair share but they don't. The only damage cars and light trucks do is take out the occasional light pole or road barrier. Climate does some damage as well, but not nearly to the extent that the heavy trucks to (assumes properly designed road).

I don't like the "vehicle miles travelled tax" issue. It's been discussed in Norway too. Problem is that they all want to implement it by fitting GPS modules to the cars and logging everywhere you have been. In order to calculate miles driven. My stance is why introduce surveillance when not needed?

A fuel tax already cover this. Electricity is just another form of fuel. And can be taxed less since not fossil. And this way people are taxed more the more they drive.

TL;DR: No need to introduce another tax. Just adjust fuel taxes.
They don't take your odo reading on annual registration renewal?

I don't like the "vehicle miles travelled tax" issue. It's been discussed in Norway too. Problem is that they all want to implement it by fitting GPS modules to the cars and logging everywhere you have been. In order to calculate miles driven. My stance is why introduce surveillance when not needed?

A fuel tax already cover this. Electricity is just another form of fuel. And can be taxed less since not fossil. And this way people are taxed more the more they drive.

Annual car inspections (required for vehicle registration) here routinely log the odometer miles. Seems a lot simpler and a LOT less intrusive than GPS. Tax agencies could just pull that info.

It sure beats a flat annual tax that some US states have adopted.

edit: what @dl003 said

edit2: an unintended consequence could be that the replacement of the gas tax with a mileage tax would make the apparent price at the pump much less

Last edited:
Reactions: JRP3
They don't take your odo reading on annual registration renewal?

This varies between states- and most often this info is only collected via state inspection... and only 15 states require such an inspection for safety, a couple of those only every 2 years.... some more (but still far from all) collect this info during emissions inspections but those aren't required for EVs. Some states require no inspection of any kind.

Specifically in the US, if you don't need an emissions check (which EVs do not) the only states requiring routine inspection are:

Delaware (only every 2 years), Hawaii, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Missouri (every 2), New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island (every 2), Texas, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia.

That's it.

• Informative
Reactions: cjkosh and JRP3
Revs up told me all I need to know.
In today's Telegraph:

Mercedes revs up its all-new electric 'Tesla killer'​

Yawn. Could someone give me a nudge please when a journalist manages to show some original thinking and write an article about electric cars without Tesla in the headline.
‘revs up‘ told me all I need to know.

From comments here and on Twitter, many are complaining that Tesla shouldn't open its supercharger to third party brands.

However, I originally thought that SC was always bound to open up at a certain point or would cease to exist once EV stations become common.

The reason is simple... scale. Right now, SC makes sense to be proprietary because Tesla needed that to push EV forward. We are already at a point where most legacy makers are pulling the trigger on the switch, however slow that is.

Thus, opening now is actually a great timing. It'd still make people to buy Tesla (no adapter needed. Just plug and go), and as more and more EVs start using SC, it makes financial sense for Tesla to invest into faster, bigger, and/or simply more SC locations. Because right now, there are already quite a few SC location that sit empty or never reached peak at any point in life. They aren't exactly cheap to put together either. At a suggested 170k per station, a 10 stall station is a million-dollar project each.

Imagine being the largest car maker and "gas" station operator in the world.
Opening the SC network is a chess move regarding Federal/Biden awarding a contract to develop an EV charging network. By having the system open and working for ALL EV's it is proof Tesla could/should get a large portion of the available contract.
Just my thought

Problem is that if you only look at "wear and tear" of the road heavy transport is >95% of the issue. And zooming out even more it's actually mostly weather and climate that degrade roads over time - so an unused road will wear out just like a heavily used road.
I find that unlikely. Locally we have a section of road near a stone quarry and a salt mine, the road surface is distorted by the constant heavy truck traffic near those driveways and at the closest intersection with a stoplight.
As other's have mentioned yearly safety inspections are standard in many places and odometer readings are already taken and reported back to the state. The system already exists. Add in a proportional weight factor and you have fair and easy monitoring of use and road impact.

Reactions: Prunesquallor

Why would you need to know where car has been driven. Dont we just need to have odometer reading each year.

Fremont Flyover from yesterday. No Model S or X to be seen in the delivery lot...

Enjoy
Does anyone know what the bridge crane is being used for in relation to the casting machines. It doesn't look like it's used in the individual castings as the robots appear to handle those.

Do they need to switch out the moulds frequently?
1616770695648.png

Fremont Flyover from yesterday. No Model S or X to be seen in the delivery lot...

Enjoy
Looking at this makes me think Tesla is moving into a more mature mode of operations. We havent seen a leaked note from Musk pushing for all hands on deck to deliver as many cars as possible before March 31st 11:59PM. All those cars steadily being moved on out. They will be delivered soon and that is all that we care about. Yes some people will paint it as lack of demand if more quantity produced and not delivered at end of quarter, but that is short term.

This is a very informative video describing in detail how Harley Davidson killed itself - ultimately through Reagan's imposed tax tariffs designed to protect Harley Davidson from any competition over 750cc, thus fencing off HD's core market. Over time however, this protectionism resulted in Harley Davidson focusing solely on its niche market and failing to change with the times (insert Ford truck here.....?). And ultimately it resulted in HD losing its market in the US overtime as its traditional riders aged (insert Corvette and Mustang fans here....?), thus HD was forced to seek foreign markets, and it was forced to face overseas tariffs on its products made in the US as a retribution for Reagan's import tariff.............and this resulted in HD ultimately being forced to attempt to manufacture its products overseas to avoid those tariffs since it no longer had a sufficient market in the US to sustain its business (insert all Big 3 US mfg's here).

Oh, and did I mention that after its short market boom following Reagan's protectionism, HD made a quiet internal decision to try to stay afloat with stock buybacks to make it appear that it was doing better than it really was.

Yes, you could literally replace the name HD in this video with Ford or GM or Dodge and it would play the same as those companies lose market shares to EV's that they refused to produce early enough to stay relevant. And they were of course hiding behind similar tariff protection, most particularly in the light truck market and the 'Chicken Tax' that was enacted to 'save us' from foreign trucks and diesels that were manufactured overseas.

1616770860452.png

I would really encourage folks to take a few minutes to watch this video because we are metaphorically watching the final minutes of the same game in the auto industry right now, and TSLA Longs are on the right side of this bet.

Disclaimer......... I ride a BMW GS 1200 and a KTM Adventure

Last edited:
This varies between states- and most often this info is only collected via state inspection... and only 15 states require such an inspection for safety,
I didn't realize it was that few. Shouldn't be that difficult to have newer vehicles send in a yearly mileage report automatically, older vehicles would require some sort of yearly mileage check station I guess in states which don't already do inspections.

In today's Telegraph:

Yawn. Could someone give me a nudge please when a journalist manages to show some original thinking and write an article about electric cars without Tesla in the headline.

If Tesla already has such small market share, why do they keep calling the competition a Tesla killer? /s

In today's Telegraph:

I read that. Absolutely no details in the article about the car, and MB’s track record on EVs and their recent statements on the subject have been lacklustre at best.

Ah well, I had a Porsche 911 and learned to take all of the car magazine ‘Is this the 911 beater?’ articles as a compliment. Same with these I guess other than that the Telegraph is a particularly FUDdy rag.

I wonder what the effect on the FUD would be if Tesla started placing adverts, presumably this is what lies behind a lot of it.

I don't think it would be practical as every home with an EV would need a separate meter. Since almost all charging is done at home...
If the EV charger includes an App designed to report this usage no extra meter would be needed. All that is needed then is an internet connection, or, connection through the power company network over their power lines if such is available for any particular customer.

Tesla already has Autobidder, and modifying this for use in the charger, the car, or elsewhere for reporting the results will further enhance Tesla's leadership role, cement their ability to provide easy low-cost government compliance, and make them a shoe-in for related programs. All of which would be favorable toward increasing the SP over time, while also insuring there is money being collected to cover wear and tear on the infrastructure by EVs.

Reactions: Nocturnal