Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is what it looks like when shorts retreat. Not many puts, but some nice calls around 1,000.
Have to see what happens here after the open, but this definitely looks different.

Cheers!

1659358537747.png

Looking at some data, on a preliminary basis It seems like the Japanese automakers are in the beginning stages of getting crushed.

Sales are collapsing in the two largest markets in the world (China and USA). In the USA Honda sales were down 50%+ (!!) yoy.

If you look at a JAMA monthly production data, on a TTM or monthly basis auto production is dropping rapidly in Japan, even with a very competitive yen exchange rate and most other countries increasing their production. The weakened yen has mostly just weakened the domestic market…

It looks like Tesla is going to do to the Japanese auto industry what Toyota and Honda did to the US industry…
If passed as-is, the new tax credit will be a lifeline for Toyota. They can sell a whole lot of PHEVs at $7500 off for the next few years. Manchin is doing Toyota's bidding.

I think this is what it looks like when shorts retreat. Not many puts, but some nice calls around 1,000.
Have to see what happens here after the open, but this definitely looks different.

Cheers!

View attachment 835315

This was pretty much expected with a split coming up. After the split we'll likely see the shorts return.

We should enjoy this while we can though!

In the USA Honda sales were down 50%+ (!!) yoy.

It looks like Tesla is going to do to the Japanese auto industry what Toyota and Honda did to the US industry…
Someone posted a table a week or two ago and I noticed Honda was down 40 something percent. It boggles my mind how they are seemingly just laying down to die. Toyota, while they are making the wrong moves, at least appear to be trying.

I wonder if Honda will be able to transition soon enough to save their lawn mower business?

Once upon a time, a would-be company called “Tesla” got a helluva good deal on another old plant Toyota (don’t spoil this story by including GM) had abandoned. But THIS time, UK likely could, effectively, force majeure the situation and obtain / repurpose it for $0 (sorry: £0). There has been a good deal of good-quality discussion in this thread on the economic hurdles a UK-based auto production operation has in a world…and particularly, a continent— that drives on the other side of the road but we also all know It is NOT a particularly awkward or costly challenge to design tabula rasa a vehicle OR its manufacturing plant to accommodate either.
Now I need to learn something - anything - about the extant Toyota plant.
I am probably not the best person to answer, but I'll do so anyway, partly because i have visited Burnaston and Sunderland for that matter.
This location is not exactly ideal from a logistics perspective although Toyota has, since the 1992 production beginning there, invested huge sums. Originally all movements in and out were by road. Recently Toyota managed to establish rail links:
They have spent huge amounts upgrading the plant including a large solar panel installation around 2010, IIRC. They're very much the largest Derbyshire commercial enterprise. Were they to really pull out the area would be devastated. The plan shut completely for a time during early Covid-19 days and has been plagued ever since with Brexit complications, Chunnel issues and other problems.

Toyota began exporting Corolla Hybrids from Burnaston to the EU, as the linked article about shows.
Bluntly, I'm reliably informed that Toyota really wishes they had a way out, but there is so much sunk cost that they have no decent solution. The hybrid only story is a cover for urgent desire to be gone ASAP.

FWIW, Nissan Sunderland is also threatened despite a valiant effort to deny reality:
Not too long ago Sunderland was probably the brightest light for Nissan globally. Now they're trying to keep investing and hoping for the best, while encountering large scale problems. FWIW, Sunderland voted for Brexit in a triumphal case of shooting themselves in their feet and other anatomical regions. I was there back during the glorious days.

We should be clear. Tesla would need to be quite insane to make new manufacturing commitments in the UK under present circumstances. The combination of Brexit and logistical constraints combine to make many places in the EU vastly better choices. One need not mention the increasing difficultly in finding well qualified engineers and workers, post Brexit.

These are my own opinions. Knowledgable people may and will differ.

OK, I'm vague on dates if someone can pls help.
There's a Annual Meeting this week? Is it a live call, and is this when the split might happen?
Thanks.
This meeting will count votes on whether the additional shares will be made available to accommodate a split.

The board will vote on the split after the shareholders make the shares available.

I consider the M3/MY very similar vehicles, with very similar costs to manufacture. With such similarities, I find it unintuitive that the MY is $66K while the M3 is $58K. And yet, the M3 is likely to be reduced to $55K while the MY is likely to be increased. Tesla was insightful to introduce the MY as I am blown away at the premium it continues to command above the similar M3.
Keep in mind that pricing is NOT 'cost plus' in well run companies. Model Y is certainly less expensive to build than is Model 3. Gigacastings are part of the story, so too is newer assembly technique, plus the 4680/structural pack and so on.

Please don't think about cost to manufacture. Think about functionality, customer appeal and positioning.

Public positioning and actual facts can differ. Corporate desires and practical impediments also are major issues.
This ties nicely into the SMR video linked earlier. Toyota has a "plan" rather than a "strategy" and is unable to make clear their reasons for diworsifying into PHEV, Hydrogen, and other potential options now that BEVs have established themselves as the best option going forward. (as long as battery and battery materials supply continues to ramp to meet demand)

Someone posted a table a week or two ago and I noticed Honda was down 40 something percent. It boggles my mind how they are seemingly just laying down to die. Toyota, while they are making the wrong moves, at least appear to be trying.

I wonder if Honda will be able to transition soon enough to save their lawn mower business?

Both Japan and Germany are hurting, but Germany is at least making an effort.

The US might produce more autos this year than Japan and Germany combined… the last time that happened was the 1960s.