Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I heard on another forum that you can improve dc charging speed by placing a wet towel around the cable. Anyone try this

Never heard that one. It sounds similar in scientific rigour to the stupid green highlighter pens that in the 90s people used to argue you could colour the edges of your CDs with and you’d get better quality sound on playback 🙄. It was rubbish science easily disproved.

If a charging cable got that hot (and you’d be worried if they did) then wrapping a wet towel around it would provide only minimal and temporary cooling, because if the cable is that hot, the wet towel would quickly heat up and its presence wrapped around the cable would make heat dissipation even worse. Do not try this.

Reactions: dronus
Never heard that one. It sounds similar in scientific rigour to the stupid green highlighter pens that in the 90s people used to argue you could colour the edges of your CDs with and you’d get better quality sound on playback 🙄. It was rubbish science easily disproved.

If a charging cable got that hot (and you’d be worried if they did) then wrapping a wet towel around it would provide only minimal and temporary cooling, because if the cable is that hot, the wet towel would quickly heat up and its presence wrapped around the cable would make heat dissipation even worse. Do not try this.

Apparently there was some sort of heat sensor in the handle that provided feedback to the charging engine. If handle is overheating, slow down charge rate. The wet towel would cool the handle and 'defeat' the heat sensor. Seems like a pretty dumb thing to do.

Does, however, support the contention set out in the Guide:

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy has a few things to say on the subject of towels.
A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can’t see it, it can’t see you—daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: nonhitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might accidentally have “lost.” What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
Hence a phrase that has passed into hitchhiking slang, as in
“Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There’s a frood who really knows where his towel is.” (Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok and dronus
The wet towel will actually cool it down, as well - it work because the water wicks onto the towel, giving it a large surface area in contact with the air, and as it evaporates at that water/air boundary the latent heat of evaporation cools the towel and handle down. It's the same principle as an evaporative air conditioner / swamp cooler, and just like those will work best when the air is dry.

hmm.. not sure where to post, but i recently got a new Gen 3 wall connector installed.. and shortly after my solar inverter died (looking my utility App, solar export stopped after installation and I tested it out)... what could the plausible cause......

hmm.. not sure where to post, but i recently got a new Gen 3 wall connector installed.. and shortly after my solar inverter died (looking my utility App, solar export stopped after installation and I tested it out)... what could the plausible cause......
Interesting my WC must have had a firmware update, I don’t recall this screen. It was heaps basic before.

I was going to suggest checking the earth leakage in the WC page, it might be tripping something if something isn’t wired up correctly.

Either way, get your sparkie back out :)

IMG_0568.jpeg

Reactions: hnfmr
Get the electrician back if it happened at same time. When I installed my solar a.d home battery I noticed that my solar panels were not producing any energy and my load was coming from the grid. He may have messed with a setting, or he has turned off the switch which allows energy from pv into inverter. I know I have so many more switches after my pv was installed

Reactions: hnfmr
Had to do some airport/cbd pick up and drop offs last night.
The M3h was getting a lot of attention on Hindley street. Lots of people stopping to look and point. The stealth grey fits in really well in that stealth/seedy end of town haha.

Saw a model X cruising around too. They are heaps bigger in person than I thought they were. They look heaps good, imagine if they started making them and Model S for AU again… probably won’t though. I’ve only seen Model X in white, imagine them in the new colours! Haha.

Anyway, got quite a few more km than normal in the seat last night. Loved that I could open and close the boot in the airport and hotel pickup areas, I saw one of my passengers go to grab it to close it but I got in just in time. Also had someone go for the door over ride handle. Don’t know how you guys that drive for ride share don’t go crazy!

Got home just in time before the drizzle could turn the dust to mud, charged back up overnight love it!

Incase you haven’t noticed, I really dig this car, it’s just a really groovy place to be.

the outer layer isn't sealed by design...
This is a crock of Tesla nonsense.

The design is sealed. They couldn't build a sealed light for toffee so they incorporated a goretex covered hole in the back to let the frequent leaks boil off in the sun.

If you haven't got enough heat in your sun or your leak is too bad you get buildup and then they warranty it.

My brand new car was dropped off in an industrial estate with no opportunity for inspection. Rear lights with droplet formation. Yeah, nah it's by design b.s from CS.

I took the photo to the wof inspector and he laughed at their idea of an acceptable amount of water. Instant fail from him.

They had the gall to remind me it had a brand new wof when it was dropped off.

Thing is. As a taxi I am subject to random compliance checks. On again off again water in tail light is NFG to me. It's not even legal for the general public. It they don't wake up they are going to get a while lot more than one grumpy cabbie twisting their tail.

This may be a silly question but does anyone else's highland make a loud clunk sound when you wake it up? It sounds so similar to the front trunk opening that I've gone and checked that twice only to find that it's still closed. Seems to happen when it's been completely asleep for a while and I walk up and open the door or boot, and it kind of sounds like it's coming from the battery.

Normal or problem?

This may be a silly question but does anyone else's highland make a loud clunk sound when you wake it up? It sounds so similar to the front trunk opening that I've gone and checked that twice only to find that it's still closed. Seems to happen when it's been completely asleep for a while and I walk up and open the door or boot, and it kind of sounds like it's coming from the battery.

Normal or problem?
I don’t have a highland, but my car has always done that. I think it is the high voltage battery connectors waking up