Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s true that Cruise had problems with being rude and overly assertive (and plainly just a bit weird) around pedestrians in crosswalks as can be seen around the 1:30 mark in my video below from 9 months ago.

Of course, the accident with the woman being dragged under the car happened a few months later on a later software base but my impression is that the behavior around pedestrians in crosswalks never changed all that much up until the time when the accident occurred.

In the video, you can clearly see the Cruise steer to the left towards the woman with the cane and then steer back to the right to get back in the lane. The behavior makes no sense since the Cruise needed to go straight. It would be one thing for the Cruise to just go straight behind the woman as she crosses, but the car steers towards the woman like it is aiming for the woman. Unsafe and definitely odd.

Sadly, I think this bad behavior with pedestrians, that was never fixed, was a contributing factor to the dragging incident. That's because the Cruise accelerated towards the woman in the crosswalk. If the Cruise had slowed down sooner, it could have avoided hitting the woman after she was tossed by the Nissan.

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
In my jurisdiction it is illegal for a vehicle to go through a crosswalk while the pedestrian is in the cross walk, whether or not it is safe to do so. As a driver, it is a pain in the ass. As an unsteady pedestrian dealing with icy roads, I often appreciate it because I cannot walk at a steady pace across a sidewalk and have slipped at least once on ice. I often wear a high-visibility vest and I use walking sticks which I often use to wave madly (while shouting) at drivers who are attempting to make left or right turns across the sidewalk (and thus are watching other vehicles, not paying attention to cyclists or pedestrians.) And yes, I look like an insane person. And cars have driven into my flailing poles. Tough.

In particular there is one intersection I have to use regularly that is known as one of the worst in our city and has an adult crossing guard during the school commute times in order to create more visibility for children cross (but who walks out with her stop sign waving even when there are only adults crossing on her watch.)

The promise of AVs is that the bad driver behaviour at intersections will stop.

The reality of AVs is that companies have reprogrammed them to make them behave as the bad drivers do in order to not frustrate the human drivers.

In particular there is one intersection I have to use regularly that is known as one of the worst in our city and has an adult crossing guard during the school commute times in order to create more visibility for children cross (but who walks out with her stop sign waving even when there are only adults crossing on her watch.)

I think it's a good idea for the crossing guard to do that. It helps in case drivers are focusing too much on the crossing guard.

The promise of AVs is that the bad driver behaviour at intersections will stop.

The reality of AVs is that companies have reprogrammed them to make them behave as the bad drivers do in order to not frustrate the human drivers.

The promise is that collisions with be reduced.

You need AVs to be able to behave badly because even if you eliminate human drivers, you won't eliminate human pedestrians and you need to discourage bad pedestrians.

But over time, more AVs would allow less aggression at crosswalks with few pedestrians.

Here is a graph that shows the number of incidents with first responders as reported by the SFFD for Cruise and Waymo:

GHClRy9asAAJ4ye

New interview with Mary Barra in Barron's: GM CEO Mary Barra on EVs, Cruise, China, and More

It's behind a paywall, but here's the relevant bits about Super Cruise and Cruise. Interesting part is the discussion of selling personal L4 vehicles to customers for a certain definition of "soon."

In autonomy, you have developed Super Cruise, the driver-assistance platform in some GM cars, which allows hands-free driving on certain highways. There is also Cruise, your robotaxi arm. More to come here, as well?
We launched Super Cruise in 2017. If I had a do-over, I would have rolled it out more quickly. But it was new technology, and we held it up to make sure it was right. We just doubled the number of miles covered by hands-free driving to 750,000. I use it. I love it.
What slowed us down was the chip shortage. If we waited to equip vehicles with Super Cruise, we weren’t going to be able to ship them. So, we’re not as far along as we wanted. But we still have a robust plan to put it in many models. We’ve taken tremendous costs out of Super Cruise while making it better, adding automatic lane changes, adjustments for towing, and more miles.
Super Cruise is targeted at Level 2 and Level 3 driver assistance, which allows hands-free driving, but it still requires drivers to pay attention. The big leap is to Level 4, where the car takes over. Do you expect GM to sell Level 4 cars to consumers anytime soon?
It depends how you define “soon,” but I believe we will have personal autonomous vehicles. The technology has taken longer than expected, but we have already validated that our Cruise robotaxi vehicle is safer than a human driver. I believe we’ll have personal AVs by the latter part of this decade.
Will I be able to read Barron’s while the vehicle “drives”?
You’ll be able to watch a movie, or doze off. Or read Barron’s. Imagine you are in your daily commute: Wouldn’t it be great to get your morning emails and texts done before you get to the office? I still believe that people are going to want to drive, because driving is fun. But there are times when it isn’t fun. If the vehicle can get you where you’re going and you can be doing something else, it just makes you more productive.
You had to pull Cruise cars from the road after an unfortunate accident. Will consumers trust robotaxis?
The people who were regularly using Cruise loved it. Ratings were very high. As you go to a new community—and this is a big lesson learned—you have to build the right relationships with local, state and federal regulators. And you also have to build a good relationship with first responders. They need to understand the technology. Over 40,000 people lose their lives in vehicle accidents every year in the U.S., and over 90% of accidents are caused by human error. Autonomous vehicles don’t drive impaired. They follow all the traffic laws.

Super Cruise is targeted at Level 2 and Level 3 driver assistance, which allows hands-free driving, but it still requires drivers to pay attention. The big leap is to Level 4, where the car takes over. Do you expect GM to sell Level 4 cars to consumers anytime soon?

So, the interviewer doesn’t actually understand what is level 3 ?

My predictions is GM will not release personal autonomous vehicles (L4/5) by the end of the decade (and neither will anyone else).
I remember when people thought they would release Ultra Cruise. Though that was just a bad idea.
Their statement on that is still vague enough that they may still release door-to-door L2 (what Ultracruise was slated to be) just branded as Supercuise instead.

My predictions is GM will not release personal autonomous vehicles (L4/5) by the end of the decade (and neither will anyone else).
I remember when people thought they would release Ultra Cruise. Though that was just a bad idea.
I think there is a possibility some Chinese company will release geofenced L4 cars in China.

What stage Tesla FSD will be in US is difficult to say. I think they will be much better than they are now - but probably not wanting to take liability…

General Motors has sliced Cruise’s budget by $1B, but says it may bring on new Cruise investors when it starts rolling robo-taxis back on the streets.

Given all the issues, and need to reinvent itself, slicing $1B out of the budget seems like the hard way to get back on the road.

Given all the issues, and need to reinvent itself, slicing $1B out of the budget seems like the hard way to get back on the road.

Yeah. When you lose your budget and you hope to find investors, it's usually not a good sign. I would not be surprised if GM eventually just sells Cruise off to someone or maybe just folds Cruise into their Super Cruise division. I feel like the chance that GM is able to raise enough capital to relaunch Cruise robotaxis is dwindling.

Yeah. When you lose your budget and you hope to find investors, it's usually not a good sign. I would not be surprised if GM eventually just sells Cruise off to someone or maybe just folds Cruise into their Super Cruise division. I feel like the chance that GM is able to raise enough capital to relaunch Cruise robotaxis is dwindling.
Maybe the cost to fix the Blazer EV software fiasco is dragging on them.

But, yes, GM should probably try to offload Cruise to someone who is willing to commit to its success. As it is, and given GM's backing off on UltraCruise ADAS, it's clear that GM does not see vehicle autonomy a critical component of their business.

Reactions: diplomat33
As it is, and given GM's backing off on UltraCruise ADAS, it's clear that GM does not see vehicle autonomy a critical component of their business.

And that will be GM's downfall. Look, I've been critical of some aspects of how Tesla has approached FSD (Elon overhyping it, Elon's repeated missed promises, misleading branding, lack of sensor redundancy) but one thing that Elon is right about is that vehicle autonomy is the future and will be critical. Carmakers that can't offer some form of vehicle autonomy are going to lose out to carmakers that do. In fact, we are seeing many carmakers work to either develop their own vehicle autonomy or partner with someone thar they think can develop it for them.

Reactions: JHCCAZ and Supcom