Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bet is always on. Why not 12.4?
"12.4 has almost completely retrained models. The final touches are for comfort" giving me big regression vibes.
I feel that FSD progress should really be the march of 1's, the binary number system is more appropriate for computers and will let us better gauge progress. We've already got two 1's (75%). I expect 12.5 to get us the third 1 (87.5%).

"12.4 has almost completely retrained models. The final touches are for comfort" giving me big regression vibes.
Hoping the weird subtly jittery stops are gone. And the really bad stops. And hopefully it can do stop signs.

Unclear from that whether final touches are in 12.4 or later in 12.5 (arguably should be called v14).

At least all this means that it looks like 12.3.6 has become the baseline install and is starting to replace 11.4.9.
Now it has me wondering if where they will start the 12.4 group, will it be from the 2024.3.5 folks or the 2024.14.x
I'm making a WAG that its the 2024.3.4 folks that get FSD 12.4 as the early-ish access, but not as early as the YouTube level early access

At least all this means that it looks like 12.3.6 has become the baseline install and is starting to replace 11.4.9.
Now it has me wondering if where they will start the 12.4 group, will it be from the 2024.3.5 folks or the 2024.14.x
I'm making a WAG that its the 2024.3.4 folks that get FSD 12.4 as the early-ish access, but not as early as the YouTube level early access
My speculation from yesterday:

"For us if offered 24.14.x I would NOT install. We should wait and see what happens with 12.4.x. I bet it will be on 24.9.x (or stay on 24.3.x) and 12.3.6 will be the "new" standard FSDS replacing 11.4.9."

I feel that FSD progress should really be the march of 1's, the binary number system is more appropriate for computers and will let us better gauge progress. We've already got two 1's (75%). I expect 12.5 to get us the third 1 (87.5%).
Love it, all we would need are 50% improvements to get another '1', whereas we need a 90% improvement for each '9'.
Right now, I'd probably be OK if 12.4 ends up representing a 50% improvement. I'd be even more OK if that's accomplished without any regressions...

...I'd be even more OK if that's accomplished without any regressions...
There are ALWAYS regressions. 🤔 🤣 Just keep them to a minimum and NO safety regressions.

Since 12.4 is supposedly all newly trained (Elon speak that could mean literally almost ANYTHING) it will likely be a slow rollout and be several versions before many of us get it. Bet most of us will not get until 12.4.3 at least.

There are ALWAYS regressions. 🤔 🤣 Just keep them to a minimum and NO safety regressions.

Since 12.4 is supposedly all newly trained (Elon speak that could mean literally almost ANYTHING) it will likely be a slow rollout and be several versions before many of us get it. Bet most of us will not get until 12.4.3 at least.
@j0shm1lls will probably get it next year...

Okay, so after having 12.3.6 for the better part of a day and going on a longer drive I'm coming to the conclusion that if 11.4.x was like a teenage student driver, then 12.3.6 is like a 6 year old that can barely see over the wheel and has wooden blocks tied to their shoes to operate the pedals. Although it has pretty sloppy lane holding, wandering gradually from cowering at the right edge of the road to aggressively hugging the centre line with no obvious reason for either, it's pretty much all aspects of speed management that are the most awkward and uncomfortable. Hard acceleration from every stop right to the speed limit and then having to use regen to back off feels very unnatural. Coming up behind slower or stopped traffic seems to threaten running into the rear of the car in front almost every time - I wound up disengaging by brake a lot of times to prevent the apparently real possibility of it just plowing right in. The automatic speed offset is useless and would likely wind up getting one a speeding ticket in short order. In the regular speed mode, it can change the speed out of the blue to slow down with no obvious reason regardless of the limit. Today, it did not get a comfortable speed right once around a corner, going either way too fast or inappropriately slow.

11.4.x had its issues, but it was on average pretty useable. This version is just not worth the constant hassle. I'm shocked (but not really) that they thought it was okay to release. If the take rate for the previous trial round really was just 2%, I'm surprised it was that high. Most people are not going to remotely tolerate that behaviour, let alone pay for it.

ETA: not to mention, the wipers were flapping in the sun like a beach full of startled seagulls.

I’ve been using FSD a lot so I would be one of early ones to get 12.4
....and I have been using it since day 1 and 10.2 and that doesn't mean $hit to Tesla. You could buy 20 Teslas and you would get treated like any other person. You could be a super loyal employee, work like a dog for Tesla for years and Tesla would fire you like nothing. For good or bad Tesla has NO PASSION.