Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just started my FSD(S) trial.

Is there an accepted way to terminate a drive without it showing as a disengagement?

I drove to the store and it took me to the front door, correctly. However when I attempted to take over in order to park, it asked about my disengagement, which seemed wrong. How should I take over in that case?
Nope, that's how it is. When I was on the trial and a trip ended, I hit the microphone button and said thank you.

We are talking about Chuck’s turn. Not an issue.
Chuck’s UPL is very similar to the UPL I have to negotiate getting out of my neighborhood. 3 lanes going east, 3 going west, (40mph posted speed limit) with a median in the middle.

So do you have that UPL?

IMG_0094.jpeg

Yeah also totally unnecessary! Just go when it is clear. Who wants to be sitting in the middle off the road anyway? Need to get your momentum up for merging with traffic. May as well not stop.
Until someone in the crossing traffic coming from the right slows and stops in the median blocking FSD's path to turn left. This has happened on several of Chuck's efforts so he had to keep waiting and waiting until that car could finally go and cross in front of him making a left.

Oh I forgot Chuck's UPL turn is simple. I'll stick with the idea that a simple turn is going right with no crossing traffic to worry about or a simple 4 way stop intersection or perhaps turning right into a parking lot.

Chuck’s UPL is very similar to the UPL I have to negotiate getting out of my neighborhood. 3 lanes going east, 3 going west, (40mph posted speed limit) with a median in the middle.
Sure. They are everywhere.

Miramar is busy enough they actually say no left turn in most places.

But Chuck’s rarely busy. Only seen one video that way as I recall. Still plenty of gaps.

Until someone in the crossing traffic coming from the right slows and stops in the median blocking FSD's path to turn left. This has happened on several of Chuck's efforts so he had to keep waiting and waiting until that car could finally go and cross in front of him making a left. Oh I forgot Chuck's UPL turn is simple.
Umm…that’s the whole reason not to use the median. You just go when it is clear.

Extremely simple. I am not sure what people making left turns does to complicate things. That is what happens with these turns. That is traffic from the right. You wait for it to clear.

When left and right are clear, you go. You’ll be at 45mph in four seconds.

So do you have that UPL?

View attachment 1048100
There's also a UPL leaving Home Depot in Camarillo. Median in the middle separating 40+MPH two lanes in each direction. If it's rush hour I'll go to the exit with a stop light. Else, just wait until it's clear for no longer than one minute. There have been accident(s) here. People mostly travel faster than the speed limit and some crossers just aren't skilled enough.
1000031190.jpg

Hypothetical question: What would happen if you tried to engage FSD in an area where it is not supported, e.g. if you drove it to Mexico or shipped it overseas? Are there geo-restriction checks in place?
In Mexico it downgrades to standard AP (as soon as you cross the border). Interestingly enough, on the way back, it takes quite a long time after crossing the border before FSD is available again. It only becomes available once the car has been parked for a while.

There's also a UPL leaving Home Depot in Camarillo. Median in the middle separating 40+MPH two lanes in each direction. If it's rush hour I'll go to the exit with a stop light. Else, just wait until it's clear for no longer than one minute. There have been accident(s) here. People mostly travel faster than the speed limit and some crossers just aren't skilled enough.
View attachment 1048102
That's harder - traffic from three directions. Not a huge challenge of course, but more complex as an algorithm. Have to know whether the people across the street have the right of way (when they got there), which way they're going, etc.

Lots of traffic makes things more difficult. As mentioned, we rarely have seen Chuck's turn tested that way. If it were busier, it would be more difficult.

So do you have that UPL?
I have posted mine many times. Only two lanes each direction. Traffic goes 50-60mph (speed limit is 45mph, but cannot be enforced, as it does not meet speed limit legal requirements for enforcement in California, only reckless speeding could be enforced presumably, maybe over 65-70mph?).

Obviously mine is really really easy. I would say even easier than Chuck’s. Fatal consequences for screwing it up, though! At very particular times of year and times of day, the sun setting can be problematic and that is when it is most dangerous.

Last edited:

Is there an accepted way to terminate a drive without it showing as a disengagement?

I drove to the store and it took me to the front door, correctly. However when I attempted to take over in order to park, it asked about my disengagement, which seemed wrong. How should I take over in that case?
Just don't record a report and you should be fine.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I've had similar disengagements in the past along this same line as well. I've had many rigs gear brake on the highway to slow down - especially in heavy/slow traffic - FSD has always had challenges when it doesn't see brake lights - which is not uncommon with rigs or manual transmission cars that sometime use gear braking. It eventually picks up the fact that the lead vehicle is slowing down - but it results in FSD braking late and unnecessarily heavy - which escalates the risk of getting rear ended IME.
People have problems with this, too.

Umm…that’s the whole reason not to use the median. You just go when it is clear.

Extremely simple. I am not sure what people making left turns does to complicate things. That is what happens with these turns. That is traffic from the right. You wait for it to clear.

When left and right are clear, you go. You’ll be at 45mph in four seconds.
Your continued insistence that Chuck's UPL is a simple turn has grown tiresome. I'm going to refrain from any further posts on this subject. Glad to see you're a minority of 1.

This article Watch Tesla FSD Save the Day in Moldova, It Should Work Perfectly on European Roads - autoevolution says it's a US salvage Model Y brought to Moldova and also used FSD 12.x in Romania too.
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for. The article mentions they had to modify the software to get around the geo-restriction. Hard to know if it followed the rules of traffic perfectly but it seemed to run through the city smoothly. I imagine it's on par with a foreigner renting a car there. The fact that it works that well in a different country without any specific training is a good sign for scalability.

Reactions: Mardak

I just record that it reached end of navigation. No way to end other than disengage AFAIK as FSD keeps trying do do something, aimlessly wandering around at times.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSDtester#1