Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
believe these projects were in the pipeline already, so hopefully they will continue
Too early to tell.

An unknown of those Qld projects and 29 in NSW also have government funding and various agreements, so might make it more challenging for Tesla not to roll these out.

But I see this more of a blip and delay, rather than total cessation, but probably with greater effort to sell V4s to others.

Last edited:
Here is a guy who works for the Australian charging team that has sadly been let go.

Luke Henry on LinkedIn: #opentowork #teslalayoffs

Here is another one from Malaysia, they only just got started there!

Vincent Wiguna on LinkedIn: Dedicating this as a tribute to the Tesla Charging team worldwide, we have… | 21 comments
'Exciting times' as Luke said back at the Brighton East Supercharger launch....

Did they actually get rid of the Australian supercharger team as well (or just US)? I would have thought that it's not easy to just "let go" employees in Australia under the Fair Work Act etc.
Assuming they are paid out, seems fine to me https://www.fairwork.gov.au/tools-a...ents/notice-of-termination-and-redundancy-pay

An employer must not dismiss an employee unless they have either:
  • given the minimum period of notice
  • paid the employee instead of giving notice. This is paid at the employee's full pay rate as if they had worked the minimum notice period.

Yes, globally the entire Tesla Charging (Tesla Supercharging?) team was laid off.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
According to a comment on the Tesla Model 3 & Y Australia Facebook group, Glenelg (Adelaide) was also going to score a Superchagrer!

(Keyword being 'was')
IMG_5766.jpeg

Unbelievable the number of people defending Musk and the decision on superchargers in this thread. For some reason I thought people would be more level headed and critical of thought in this community.

As someone living in regional Australia and regularly experienced the difference in Tesla superchargers vs the rest, this is a mindboggling stupid decision that is going to set back EV adoption for years

Unbelievable the number of people defending Musk and the decision on superchargers in this thread. For some reason I thought people would be more level headed and critical of thought in this community.

As someone living in regional Australia and regularly experienced the difference in Tesla superchargers vs the rest, this is a mindboggling stupid decision that is going to set back EV adoption for years
The point is that nobody here knows all of the facts so those of us who are truly level headed and capable of critical thought are reserving judgement until all of the pieces fall into place and are revealed.

I'm not jumping to conclusions based on rumours and innuendo as the same people repeatedly do only to be proven wrong in the end.

I thought people would be more level headed and critical of thought in this community.
I think reactionary comments and jumping to conclusions without any more than superficial insight (or even no insight) to what is happening behind the scenes within Tesla is hardly level headed and critical of thought.

It's clear RocketMan lit up a nuke. So what?. Why is it Tesla's burden to carry the Australian EV adoption and charging infrastructure build?. It makes cars and chargers. So now it's slowing down because demand for its products is slowing down. Big deal. There are other EV manufacturers. I've always said it is better for other EV manufacturers to also build a fast charging network. It's called competition and importantly also an insurance policy against nukes by a CEO/Brand

There is obviously a reset going on within Tesla but we don't have visibility. Until then sit tight and let's see what happens. That's what a level headed critical thinker would do.

I think reactionary comments and jumping to conclusions without any more than superficial insight (or even no insight) to what is happening behind the scenes within Tesla is hardly level headed and critical of thought.

It's clear RocketMan lit up a nuke. So what?. Why is it Tesla's burden to carry the Australian EV adoption and charging infrastructure build?. It makes cars and chargers. So now it's slowing down because demand for its products is slowing down. Big deal. There are other EV manufacturers. I've always said it is better for other EV manufacturers to also build a fast charging network. It's called competition and importantly also an insurance policy against nukes by a CEO/Brand

There is obviously a reset going on within Tesla but we don't have visibility. Until then sit tight and let's see what happens. That's what a level headed critical thinker would do.
100%
People seem to be quick to play the victim card, its a normal reaction to a perceived loss of control.
Lets just see where the cards land.

Nothing is right or wrong, only thinking makes it so,

The point is that nobody here knows all of the facts so those of us who are truly level headed and capable of critical thought are reserving judgement until all of the pieces fall into place and are revealed.

I'm not jumping to conclusions based on rumours and innuendo as the same people repeatedly do only to be proven wrong in the end.

I wonder what the Electric Viking has to say about this....

<ducks for cover>

• Funny
Reactions: EcoCloudIT and Chuq
Sure, we don't know all the facts, buts pretty clear Musk has been going downhill since he bought twitter. Have you looked at his posts on X lately? He's completely off the rails.

If anything was reactionary it was the decision itself. In years past I would have thought there was a method behind the madness. Musk was a visionary but not anymore

Why is it Tesla's burden to carry the Australian EV adoption and charging infrastructure build?

Tesla's mission is (or was) to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. How does this decision support that mission in any way?

Nothing matters apart from the customer experience

It will take time to see how this effects the end user. Even then it will be difficult because musk running things lean ensures we get super cheap EVs. currently a model 3 perfomance is cheaper than a base model polestar. "let that sink in"
Yeah, nah. Base drive away polestar $68,404

An unknown of those Qld projects and 29 in NSW also have government funding and various agreements, so might make it more challenging for Tesla not to roll these out.

Unlikely. The way the NSW agreements are structured, payment doesn’t happen until certain milestones are met in constructing the funded sites. If Tesla simply walks away, and never lodges any invoices to the Government for any milestone payments, I don’t think there is anything the Government can do to “force” Tesla to complete any site. Tesla just swallows all its expenses to date and that’s it.

The first milestone that triggers a payment is the “project documentation” stage, i.e. a site is locked in and all the the pieces of the puzzle to make it happen are documented, i.e property leases, electricity supply agreements, physical site design, council approvals etc. are lined up. If that milestone is never reached, then no payments are forthcoming.