Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

”This Test Shows Why Tesla Autopilot Crashes Keep Happening”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was often getting unwanted sudden braking in certain places and with very dark shadows on the road, but not anymore

Good to hear. The only (that I can remember) Phantom Brake I have had on AP1 is when passing a truck. My best-guess is that AP1 thinks the gap is too tight. There isn't acres of room, but the truck is in lane, and its a dual carriageway, so "not tight" by my way of thinking ... and more importantly to me "Looks the same sized gap as every other truck we passed". Probably the lorry is a different colour, taller or casting a shadow differently (but never had a problem on AP1 with shadows etc., per se).

I would say (very subjectively) it happens about once every 500 miles

I've recently had the chance to experience the current AP type features in the latest Volvo and Mercedes cars and it was not great.

Of the two, Mercedes did the best in that we weren't rapidly looking for how to turn it all off as we had to do with the Volvo.

The Volvo actively tried to kill us several times within the first few miles of driving (repeatedly slamming on the brakes as we passed under overpasses where the road above had a slower speed limit), Mercedes only tried it twice and in circumstances where with hindsight it could be predicted (passing through roadworks where a random white line had been painted at an angle across the lane we were travelling in).

Reactions: WannabeOwner