Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100D charging problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello I'm on my second Model S. I have a 100D delivered in April. Love the car. Was leasing an 85D for prior 3 years.

I have a persistent problem with charging at home with the wall charger. The car "thinks" there is a problem with the charging cable (message says something like "cable fault") and charging stops. This happens right away. I then have to reset the charger with the side button and try again. After repeating 3-5 times, the car will finally accept a charge. Needless to say this has caused some difficulty. One time my wife left it to charge planning on driving the next day
but in fact it did not charge overnight. She was not able to use the car the next morning and had to take our ICE on long road trip.

I went to my neighbors house and used his charger and the same thing happened. Therefore I do not think the problem is with my charger.

The problem does not occur at superchargers.

I have spoken with customer support. Supposedly it was "escalated" but nothing has happened. It has now been about 3 months. I thought I would just put this out there and see if anyone else is experiencing the same problem.

Fyi, I experienced the same problem except I only typically charge with a UMC at into a standard 120V outlet at home. I received that car (MS 100D) in March and charged without issue until late June. Then started experiencing random "charging cable fault" and "check charging cable" (I think).
It progressively got worse to the point where I could no longer charge. After checking many things I decided to replace the GFI outlet on that circuit. So far (24 hours), that appears to have fixed the issue.
Interestingly, when I would check the power at the outlet, the circuit would still be up and powered when the fault presented but replacing the GFI fixed it anyway.