Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone local spare me 10 mins to solve a charging problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
My 3 month old Zappi has a problem with my car.

The plug can be ‘wiggled’ in my chargeport sufficient to stop and start a charge.

Myenergi say their plugs are to industry standard so it’s the chargeport at fault.

Tesla have tested the chargeport and to be fair my Granny charger works fine

I’m in the Dereham area of Norfolk. If anyone can spare 10 mins to plug my charger in their car I’d really appreciate it.

That should help point to one or other being at fault

Myenergi say their plugs are to industry standard so it’s the chargeport at fault.
It's for Myenergi (or the company that supplied) to prove that it doesn't have a fault, not for you to do the otherwise. Ask them to confirm in writing that they're refusing to honour your statutory rights.

Having said that, I've found that my own Model 3 can be a bit picky about non-Tesla connectors. I find that pushing it into the socket and holding the pressure for a few seconds helps a lot. You can hear and feel the locking pin engage and that tends to avoid the "Cable not properly connected" warnings that you otherwise get as you walk away from the car.

I had a similar problem where the car would say cable not connected. It requires that the pin in the car needs to be properly located in the hole in the top of the charge plug. Pressing the plug in, lifting at the same time and waiting for the 'click' sees the 'T' turn green. OK to charge.
The first couple of times this happened I needed to release the plug by pulling the strap in the boot. Seems to have 'worn in' nicely now.

It's for Myenergi (or the company that supplied) to prove that it doesn't have a fault, not for you to do the otherwise. Ask them to confirm in writing that they're refusing to honour your statutory rights.

Having said that, I've found that my own Model 3 can be a bit picky about non-Tesla connectors. I find that pushing it into the socket and holding the pressure for a few seconds helps a lot. You can hear and feel the locking pin engage and that tends to avoid the "Cable not properly connected" warnings that you otherwise get as you walk away from the car.
It’s more than that unfortunately.
That plug charges our Peugeot and our visiting BMW without problem
My granny charger charges the Tesla without problem
The only definitive answer is to try another Tesla to see if my chargeport is the problem

I had a similar problem where the car would say cable not connected. It requires that the pin in the car needs to be properly located in the hole in the top of the charge plug. Pressing the plug in, lifting at the same time and waiting for the 'click' sees the 'T' turn green. OK to charge.
The first couple of times this happened I needed to release the plug by pulling the strap in the boot. Seems to have 'worn in' nicely now.
It’s connecting first time every time but the pilot connectors lose the plot all on their own and randomly!

Does this sound like your problem? Note that OP can charge a corsa fine.

Also this is interesting:

And again - pilot wires mentioned here, but also incorrectly fitted port on the tesla:

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel

And again - pilot wires mentioned here, but also incorrectly fitted port on the tesla:
Yes, my issue is very similar indeed.

The chargeport being fitted too far back is a possible contender as is the pilot cable.
I had a new chargeport door fitted in December and I guess the port was removed to fit it. That said, the issue of charging really started in February unless I just didn’t notice.

This morning, I plugged in and got the usual on/off clicking where contact was being lost and regained. I tried holding the plug firm and moving the cable and that broke contact but I can’t say it’s definitive as the cable has some leverage over the plug.

The Tesla granny charger plug has no outer body so will press home until it is fully inserted. The Myenergi plug has a casing around it so stops at the front of the port come what may.

Trying another Tesla is the only way I’m going to prove anything.

Right now, the car is successfully charging!

My sincere thanks to Paul from Norfolk EV’s who popped over with his model 3 which was pretty much the same age as mine.

We did several tests and found that it was much more difficult to stop the charge on his by wiggling the plug.

That led me to inspect the positioning of the port and mine is certainly set back further into the housing by at least 1mm if not more.

I believe that to be the source of the problem. The plug on my Tesla granny charger has no outer casing like the Zappi plug and many others, so there is nothing to stop it going all the way in. The casing on my Zappi plug is preventing it going deep enough.

Thanks @init6 it looks my port is inset too far possibly from when the port was changed in December