Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V outlets always-on hack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, we had to return sooner than planned because smoke blew in from the Dixie fire and blanketed the entire region. Extremely disappointing, but I can at least provide positive news about the 240Wh power station. That battery bank, combined with a 100W flexible solar panel I had laying around, easily powered my cooler all night and day. This was despite the fact that we had a campsite with limited sun (about 4 hours a day). I also used the battery pack to pump up my inflatable paddleboard, so it's not a one trick pony.

I think I am likely to abandon my Tesla 12V project considering how simple and flexible this solution is. I probably would have preferred a slightly larger capacity unit, but since I was tight on time, I got what I did. If someone else is thinking about it, a ~500Wh unit should easily cover a pre-chilled electric cooler for about 48-60h without charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Mom and F123456
Well, we had to return sooner than planned because smoke blew in from the Dixie fire and blanketed the entire region. Extremely disappointing, but I can at least provide positive news about the 240Wh power station. That battery bank, combined with a 100W flexible solar panel I had laying around, easily powered my cooler all night and day. This was despite the fact that we had a campsite with limited sun (about 4 hours a day). I also used the battery pack to pump up my inflatable paddleboard, so it's not a one trick pony.

I think I am likely to abandon my Tesla 12V project considering how simple and flexible this solution is. I probably would have preferred a slightly larger capacity unit, but since I was tight on time, I got what I did. If someone else is thinking about it, a ~500Wh unit should easily cover a pre-chilled electric cooler for about 48-60h without charging.
curious......what is the power draw on your cooler? I have a Jackery 300w battery pack with I used as a trial on my ACO Power cooler......the power draw on the battery is ~45w.....for cry from 48-60 hours....thanks

curious......what is the power draw on your cooler? I have a Jackery 300w battery pack with I used as a trial on my ACO Power cooler......the power draw on the battery is ~45w.....for cry from 48-60 hours....thanks
300Wh, I’m assuming you mean?

Your math, without a solar input, is 300Wh / 45W * 3/h = 20 hours.

I think I probably misspoke when I posted that three years ago. I likely was thinking about including the solar panel in the equation with the 500Wh pack.

300Wh, I’m assuming you mean?

Your math, without a solar input, is 300Wh / 45W * 3/h = 20 hours.

I think I probably misspoke when I posted that three years ago. I likely was thinking about including the solar panel in the equation with the 500Wh pack.
no sweat....I put my Jackery with 69% in trunk last night....cooler was at 32F.....set temps 35F.....cooloer was full of sodas and water and other things.....this morning at 10:00am, Jachery was at 23%.....69-23=46 used. 46 used / 8 hrs = 5.65w per hrs...not too bad...I have s Jackery Pro 3000, Jackery Pro 2000 and Anker 767 along with 6-200w solar panels and a 100w panel for my other Anker EverFrost cooler.....I think I have enough power, but I was not sure of the cooler and it draw...I have learned that you must pre-cool prior to going on short trips.....longer trips should tale care of itself cooling wise becasue of the distance....local grocery trip requires pre-cooling.....