Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

16 March, Sacramento Raceway, 5305 Excelsior Rd, Sacramento, CA 4:30-7pm All-Comers!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fellow Greater Sacramento Area Teslans,

I am hoping to see many of you join me at Sacramento Raceway on Wednesday, March 16, to "test" our cars against the performance clock. Don't try to tell me YOU haven't "stomped on it" just to get the feel of the "Tesla grin," but had to back off because you were "on the streets" and only so much is safe there.

And you KNOW that our cars are completely computer controlled, so you cannot demand that they do anything outside their "design parameters." So those "hard launches" were just fun and not doing any actual damage to the car.

BUT, you always had to "back off" in those street settings, so you don't really KNOW what it feels like to let the "beast within" fully express itself (the "beast" in the Tesla and the "beast" in yourself).

Here, at the QUARTER MILE DRAG STRIP you can join me in getting actual "solid data" on what YOUR CAR can do when fully launched. IF you have not actually "run" at a drag strip, you will get the following data:

1. Your reaction time to the "go light"
2. Your performance time to in seconds to 60 feet on the course.
to 330 feet on the course.
to 660 feet on the course
Your speed at 660 feet on the course
3. Your performance time in seconds to 1000 feet on the course
4. Your performance time in seconds at the QUARTER MILE
5. Your terminal velocity/speed at the QUARTER MILE

Further in this WEDNESDAY EVENING format at Sacramento Raceway, you can take as many runs as you want, getting comfortable in the mechanics of the start and trying different settings on the car (IF you so desire).

Cost is $20 for car and driver and $8 for spectators, RSVP to me by 10 March so I can get a "head count" and I will TRY to get us a "group/club discount."

ALL Tesla drivers running on the strip MUST BE WEARING AN APPROVED HELMET AND LONG PANTS. A good motorcycle helmet is generally accepted and they do have helmets for rent at the Raceway.

I would LOVE to see us get comparative performance data on ALL the variations of the Model S, especially the various DUAL MOTOR versions and Model X as well. Of course, Roadsters are most welcome.

And typically in the past, we are pretty much done with our "data gathering" by around 7 pm, so we adjourn to a convenient local eatery for personal recharging and swapping stories.

It is absolutely best to arrive with as FULL A CHARGE AS POSSIBLE, so the nearby Folsom Outlet Mall Supercharger is a great "pre-stop."

George Parrott
Executive Board, Sacramento Electric Vehicle Association
Contributing Writer, Green Car Reports

Here is a link to an article I wrote on a previous visit to Sacramento Raceway:

Tesla Model S: From Insane to Ludicrous to slice 1/4-mile times (with video)

Hi George,

Unfortunately, it's not documented here, but they also require you to wear a fire jacket if you are able to hit 11.5 seconds or less on the quarter mile. So for those of you Model S drivers with Ludicrous mode, be aware of that requirement. I guess they think my car might spontaneously explode like an ICE car when hitting those numbers. Then they asked me if I could slow it down a little. :scared:

Anyways, they let me continue with the race but told me I needed to bring a fire jacket next time.

Do you think they still have the requirement?

Eager to try the new launch mode on the track and see what that will do.

Hi George,

Unfortunately, it's not documented here, but they also require you to wear a fire jacket if you are able to hit 11.5 seconds or less on the quarter mile. So for those of you Model S drivers with Ludicrous mode, be aware of that requirement. I guess they think my car might spontaneously explode like an ICE car when hitting those numbers. Then they asked me if I could slow it down a little. :scared:

Anyways, they let me continue with the race but told me I needed to bring a fire jacket next time.

Do you think they still have the requirement?

Eager to try the new launch mode on the track and see what that will do.

Well about two weeks ago, when we had two (2) P85D(L) cars both go under 11.4 seconds they initially tried to say "you need fire jackets," but at the actual staging area, the starter staff decided that such a requirement DID NOT APPLY to battery powered cars with no risks of blowing up a fuel tank....since the Model S is NOT carrying such an explosive bomb. BUT "yes,' technically such a requirement exists, but it was written for and "older time" when the only way to go under 11.5 seconds was in a heavily modified GAS/FUEL car with a real risk of ...exploding.

Well about two weeks ago, when we had two (2) P85D(L) cars both go under 11.4 seconds they initially tried to say "you need fire jackets," but at the actual staging area, the starter staff decided that such a requirement DID NOT APPLY to battery powered cars with no risks of blowing up a fuel tank....since the Model S is NOT carrying such an explosive bomb. BUT "yes,' technically such a requirement exists, but it was written for and "older time" when the only way to go under 11.5 seconds was in a heavily modified GAS/FUEL car with a real risk of ...exploding.

That's good to know they've changed their minds! Wow, I didn't realized P85DLs are beating my best time of 11.4. I won't be able to make it this time, so perhaps next time. I would be eager to see if any improvements in time come from the new 'Launch' mode, if any.