Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17" screen dead along with controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are tackling in Germany ATM the general problem of the "too hot running" MCU.
This iMac symptom if you will is also killing the units.
There´s only half a hole under the unit, and even this gets covered by the cubby drawer ring.
The shitty 5V Sunons on top of the MCU don´t help either but pushing the hot air from the PSU into limited space with no fresh and cool air.
The front is baked by the hot display.
Another "door handle" moment, since Elon is already two steps ahead and not caring about this any more.

Plus Tesla is making a fortune repairing their own engineering ;)

After reading that thread about eMMC failure, my car is showing the same symptoms. I also forgot to mention that I haven't even driven my car since the failure because my charging has been limited to 2 amps since the MCU failed which is insufficient to cover my daily driving.

I do not know the answer. Here is what I (think I) do know:
My car is 2012.
It has 56K miles on it. I bought it used in Feb 2019 with 48K miles on it.
I use TeslaFi data logger
I think someone else said if you use a logger like fi or spy it will happen faster. (Dunno if this applies to the Tesla app too)
They were still using flash at that time because I think the first one died for this reason about 4 years after the initial release of the model S

I am confident that yours has FLASH in it as well with the same amount of logging. The only thing they did somewhere down the line before MC2, was put a longer lasting flash chip in AFAIK, so even in the new units they are selling now, it will still be an issue down the road. Right now, it's a 3K repair, it looks like. blah.

And why it's not easily replaceable baffles me. You know it's going to wear out.
Yet,
1> you include only one
2> solder it in place with no backup
3> charge me 3k to replace the whole shebang when really all that's wrong is a $10 flash chip is worn out
4> it's not easily replaceable
5> You're going to charge me $3K to fix your design flaw / INCREDIBLY bad design.
6> Really?

WTF?

• Love
Reactions: widodh
Mine is now in the shop but the ETA is about two weeks because of a large backlog of cars that just came in due to the introduction of collision repair at the service center. I did get lucky and got their only available loaner because I took my car in first thing in the morning. Here's hoping that the replacement MCU has a new eMMC and that it's not just a reman that has a several year old eMMC. I've only got about 1700 mile remaining on the ESA which will be through in about 2 months after I get the car back and they said the replacement MCU will only have a 1 year warranty.

I do not know the answer. Here is what I (think I) do know:
My car is 2012.
It has 56K miles on it. I bought it used in Feb 2019 with 48K miles on it.
I use TeslaFi data logger
I think someone else said if you use a logger like fi or spy it will happen faster. (Dunno if this applies to the Tesla app too)
They were still using flash at that time because I think the first one died for this reason about 4 years after the initial release of the model S

I am confident that yours has FLASH in it as well with the same amount of logging. The only thing they did somewhere down the line before MC2, was put a longer lasting flash chip in AFAIK, so even in the new units they are selling now, it will still be an issue down the road. Right now, it's a 3K repair, it looks like. blah.

And why it's not easily replaceable baffles me. You know it's going to wear out.
Yet,
1> you include only one
2> solder it in place with no backup
3> charge me 3k to replace the whole shebang when really all that's wrong is a $10 flash chip is worn out
4> it's not easily replaceable
5> You're going to charge me $3K to fix your design flaw / INCREDIBLY bad design.
6> Really?

WTF?
Problem is that removable storage like an SD card would also make it childsplay to gain root access to the car.

Removable storage can also cause problems in cold and hot climates due to moisture or frost for example.

A soldered connection is much more reliable. But yes, the eMMC Tesla is using and abusing on MCU1 is a big flaw and single point of failure.

Reactions: .jg.
They could put it in a socket and put a screw down clip on it. Plus, you still have to get physical access to remove the part and removing the MCU ain't child's play.
I do see your point, though. Vibration and heat/cold would make regular socket a nonstarter. Plus, I suppose, corrosion over the long term might make the contacts unusable if you lived near the ocean...
Stop raining on my pity parade!

• Funny
Reactions: widodh