Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18 inch turbines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my 18 inch turbines from EVWheelDirect (EVwheelsdirect.com) mounted on my car, swapped tires and TPMS. These wheels replaced my aero wheels and aero covers.

Attachments

• 18 inch turbines, close up.JPG
    18 inch turbines, close up.JPG
    308.3 KB · Views: 297
  • 18 inch turbines, side view.JPG
    18 inch turbines, side view.JPG
    352.7 KB · Views: 271
Yup the price was $996 for four wheels. It was a long wait between preorder and delivery but so far I'm happy and I got to keep the 18 inch instead of going to Tesla's 19 inch which would have meant a harsher ride and may worse milage.

I have been waiting for these to see how they look. Would you mind posting a few more pics for me when you get time? Thanks!
Just took a picture while parked outside. Sort of cloudy day but this pic might show a little better than the ones from yesterday. By the way I think it completely changes the look of the car for the better. I'm looking to sell my aero's.

Attachments

• Model 3 18 inch turbines side view.JPG
    Model 3 18 inch turbines side view.JPG
    509.2 KB · Views: 247
Reactions: moonfresh
Just took a picture while parked outside. Sort of cloudy day but this pic might show a little better than the ones from yesterday. By the way I think it completely changes the look of the car for the better. I'm looking to sell my aero's.

This is a great pic, thanks! These look really good! I got the 18s because of the roads here in Chicago and while the Aeros have really grown on me I think these look too good to pass up.

I'm curious though if you will notice a hit to your range. My guess is it probably won't be much but maybe noticable on road trips. If you notice anything I'd love to know. Thanks again!

@Austindude,

What is the weight difference between those and the Aeros?

Ski
No doubt these are heavier than the aero wheels (I don't actually know how much) and I've been through worrying about the whole "unsprung" weight thing in my head. I'm guessing it may mean a few additional tenths of a second of accel/decel time? Probably also a decrease in range? Honestly though I can't yet tell the difference during my normal driving. There is some thought that each extra pound of weight on the wheels is the equivalent of 3 times that in "sprung" weight carried in the car. If I assume an additional 6 pounds per wheel then that's 24 lbs time 3 or about an additional 72 pounds in the car. I don't know how accurate that is. Certainly lighter wheels are better than heavier wheels. In my case I took the aero covers off my wheels the day I drove the car home for the first time. That I wasn't getting the absolute best mileage possible even using the aero wheels. Am I better off than using the Tesla 19 inch wheels? I don't know but I'll bet the ride is less harsh with the 18's. Not sure if any of that hand waving is of any help or really answers your question.

Sorry I missed replying to your post. Yes the Model S center caps fit perfectly (I removed the silver EV center caps that came with the wheels). I have some red T decals coming that will fit inside the indented T on the caps.

Ah ok, good to know. If I were to get those wheels as well I’d probably go with the dark grey color they offer.

Yup, they made theirs to be as similar to Tesla's specs. The trade off is the price. Pay more and get lighter wheels or pay less but get the heavier wheels...decisions. I like the T-Sportlines, but I will be sticking with the Tesla 18s.

Here's where my mind is. Depending on how I feel about the looks of the Aeros sans covers when I get them I may go with the TSportlines and then sell the Tesla Aeros to offset the cost.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people wanting to buy a second set for winter wheels. I am buying an AWD. In 23 years of living and driving in Colorado I have never encountered a situation that an AWD vehicle with good all seasons couldn't handle for my needs. So I don't bother with winters.

Here's where my mind is. Depending on how I feel about the looks of the Aeros sans covers when I get them I may go with the TSportlines and then sell the Tesla Aeros to offset the cost.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people wanting to buy a second set for winter wheels. I am buying an AWD. In 23 years of living and driving in Colorado I have never encountered a situation that an AWD vehicle with good all seasons couldn't handle for my needs. So I don't bother with winters.

It’s worth doing some online research about the benefits of winter tires. Temperatures less than 40-50 are where the rubber compounds in winter tires really beat out all seasons even in dry conditions. Don’t need lots of snow or ice to see benefits. Just cold. Objective testing shows winter tires stopping 20-30% better than all seasons in colder weather. I’m sure we all could use an extra car length or two of distance when having a surprise stop in cold weather.

It’s worth doing some online research about the benefits of winter tires. Temperatures less than 40-50 are where the rubber compounds in winter tires really beat out all seasons even in dry conditions. Don’t need lots of snow or ice to see benefits. Just cold. Objective testing shows winter tires stopping 20-30% better than all seasons in colder weather. I’m sure we all could use an extra car length or two of distance when having a surprise stop in cold weather.

23 years of driving in winter conditions. Including a ton of trips to the mountains. All the research I need.

Last edited:

I am in the same boat as you. I ordered AWD with the 18" (I actually went on a test drive today...it was awesome!! The Model 3 I drove had the 18s and it was a very smooth ride), but I like the looks of the 19s. After the test drive, I asked if at delivery, I purchase the 19s for $1,500 and they just take the 18s off. They said that should not be a problem. I was then able to speak with an inside sales person at the Service Center and she informed me that my car has not gone into production so if I wanted the 19s, they can look into switching it now and it not effect my timing. She said she will double check to make sure and call me. That being said, the 18s were a very nice ride...very smooth. I may just stick with the 18s and powder coat them gloss black and never put the covers on unless I am going on a long road trip which only happens once or twice a year.