Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 90d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a very long running thread about rate capping to 90kw after only a moderate amount of supercharging. I can't tell you where that thread ended, I gave up after reading around 100 pages. The rate capping (back then) means it held 90kw from below 10% all the way to 70% meaning it was still faster than charging an 85 back then, when 85's still peaked at 120kw, but now that 85's are generally capped lower, and drop off faster there is no question those 90's are faster at that rate. I haven't checked in to see if they have changed during as software has updated. My old 85 still peaks at about 110, but instead of the charge rate being 120kw-SOC% it is now 100kw-soc%, once you get past about 20%.

So maybe dig up that monster thread and see where that ended up?

I don't think it's an accident that Tesla is selling only used 100kw cars with free super charging. They aren't being price driven, just battery pack driven. With the general economic situation you might be able to locate a 100d for you budget, and I would try if I were you.

I don't think it's an accident that Tesla is selling only used 100kw cars with free super charging. They aren't being price driven, just battery pack driven. With the general economic situation you might be able to locate a 100d for you budget, and I would try if I were you.

Tesla IS selling 90 battery cars with free supercharging. The regular X90D and Performance X P90D’s less than 4 years old get unlimited free supercharging. It boils down to the price point they sell the cars for, the regular S90D’s and P90D’s are too cheap now to offer FSC, X’s cost a bit more than S’s, 100’s cost more. It’s just about money not battery’s. S and X’s share battery chemistry and X’s are heavier so the battery gets worked harder so it can’t be just about batteries. On another note I wouldn’t keep any Tesla outside of warranty, many will so that allows me the ability to still sell and buy new for a reasonable upgrade price.

Last edited: