Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Model S 75 RWD vs 75D AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I have a really good deal that I have found for a 2017 model S 75 RWD with only 58k miles. I believe this car also might be after the manufacture day of July 2017. My main question is the difference in power and acceleration between the 75 RWD and 75D AWD. Has anybody driven both and can speak on a comparison? I was totally shocked when I was looking at the specs online as they are drastically different. The RWD model shows only 382 hp in 325 pound feet of torque. And then the AWD shows way more power with 518 hp and 387 pound feet of torque. Obviously I know that the AWD has another motor in the front. But wouldnt the specs prove that the all wheel drive model is way more powerful and faster? But it seems like the 0 to 60 times for both models are pretty close, so I'm just a little confused on the acceleration and performance between the two and how similar they are when the specs are way different. Any help would be greatly appreciated

There are two different 75/75D specs - knowing which one you’re looking at is critical.

Originally the 75 RWD was released with an advertised 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds. The original spec 75D had a 0-60 of 5.2 seconds.

In July 2017, Tesla announced that new 75Ds produced from that date onward would have a 0-60 of 4.2 seconds and that most (but not all) 75Ds produced before that date could be “uncorked” for free to the same level of performance.

At the same time they announced the 75 RWD 0-60 was reduced to 4.3 seconds. Unfortunately, there was no retroactive uncork available for the RWD because of hardware changes.

If the 75 you’re looking at is confirmed to be produced July 2017 or later, then the difference in acceleration between that car and an uncorked 75D is fairly negligible. If it’s a pre-July car, it’s substantial.

@evrepair ’s point about drive units is a very good one and something I’d heavily factor into your decision - the “small” drive units used in the “D” cars have proven to be much more reliable and don’t have the design flaws that the large rear drive unit on the RWD does.

Last edited:
Reactions: OVB1
I was totally shocked when I was looking at the specs online as they are drastically different. The RWD model shows only 382 hp in 325 pound feet of torque. And then the AWD shows way more power with 518 hp and 387 pound feet of torque.
To be clear here - I believe the RWD performance numbers you’re quoting are the “pre July” numbers, while the 75D numbers are the “uncorked” figures - so a bit apples to oranges. The great majority of 75 RWD cars produced were pre-July 2017 thus the lower figures are accurate for most of the fleet.

AWD is quicker, it’s significant. It will also be more reliable as it has the smaller rear drive unit. The larger ones are known to fail often.
This might not be a legit comparison. But I
There are several different 75/75D specs - knowing which one you’re looking at is critical.

Originally the 75 RWD was released with an advertised 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds. The original spec 75D had a 0-60 of 5.2 seconds.

In July 2017, Tesla announced that new 75Ds produced from that date onward would have a 0-60 of 4.2 seconds and that most (but not all) 75Ds produced before that date could be “uncorked” for free to the same level of performance.

At the same time they announced the 75 RWD 0-60 was reduced to 4.3 seconds. Unfortunately, there was no retroactive uncork available for the RWD because of hardware changes.

If the 75 you’re looking at is confirmed to be produced July 2017 or later, then the difference in acceleration between that car and an uncorked 75D is fairly negligible. If it’s a pre-July car, it’s substantial.

@evrepair ’s point about drive units is a very good one and something I’d heavily factor into your decision - the “small” drive units used in the “D” cars have proven to be much more reliable and don’t have the design flaws that the large rear drive unit on the RWD does.

Ok thank you. It sounds like I really need to try and get a picture of that tag that's on the door jamb to make sure of the manufacturer date. I definitely would only want a RWD model after the July 2017 date.
That’s the bit of critical info!

Alternatively, if you can get access to the car’s option codes, you are looking for “DU01”, which indicates the higher performance drive unit. “DU00” is the original 5.5 second 0-60 variant.

Ok thank you. It sounds like I really need to try and get a picture of that tag that's on the door jamb to make sure of the manufacturer date. I definitely would only want a RWD model after
That’s the bit of critical info!

Alternatively, if you can get access to the car’s option codes, you are looking for “DU01”, which indicates the higher performance drive unit. “DU00” is the original 5.5 second 0-60 variant.
Ok I got a picture of the door badge. And it says date 09/17. So does that mean this is the stock uncorked version and acceleration will be closer to the AWD?

the July 2017

Attachments

• IMG_5344.jpeg
    IMG_5344.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reactions: ucmndd
Hey guys, thanks for helping me on this. I just want to confirm that this attached picture here showing the Manufacturer date of 09/17 would confirm that this is one of the RWD models that would have the acceleration boost that is comparable to the AWD models. I believe many are stating the 0-60 is around 4.3 seconds with the red models after July 2017. 2017 Tesla Model S 75 RWD - Acceleration .......Shows 0-60 at 4.3 seconds

Attachments

• IMG_5344.jpeg
    IMG_5344.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 9