Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019.12.1.2 on HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who have HW3 and the latest update, have you noticed any difference in the battery drain of Sentry mode using the newer hardware?

From my understanding, Sentry mode required the autopilot hardware to be on, which in the older chips drained about 1%/hr since that cpu pulled about 250 watts. Since the new FSD chip is supposedly far more efficient, it would make sense for there to be a reduction in power drain. Can anyone confirm?

Reactions: preilly44
Greetings,

Noob here with a Model 3 AWD and 2019.12.1.2 5c87371, I've had 4-5 kWh/day drain in sentry mode. First few days were raining, lots of events, but now I think it doesn't matter how many events occur. The FSD board being on would make sense; I believe the new hardware still takes 100 watts or so. Also I notice on a dewey morning that the front camera unit is supplying a little heat and partially defrosting the windshield above it. Great if they could magic the sentry function without the FSD unit being on, but I suppose those cameras and ultrasonics may be hardwired to it...