Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Processor Status is "Critical", AP/FSD/TACC/AEB/Lane Keep Assist all non-functioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm posting to see if anybody else has had a recent similar experience to my own. I was driving my 2021 Model Y on Saturday when FSD decided to completely stop functioning during a right turn on the highway with no prior warning. The EPAS (steering) motor completely disengaged, and I started going toward the center highway divider at about 60mph. (I yanked the wheel to prevent from crashing into the barrier.)

I safely and quickly exited the highway and opened up the not-so-secret-anymore Service Mode to see what was going on. Immediately I noticed that the primary DAS processor was marked as being in the CRITICAL state, and the 'Main' and both 'B-Pillar' camera streams had completely stopped, as can be seen in the images below.

The current symptoms of this issue are:

• When Reset, the primary Autopilot Processor (A) is able to reboot, and transitions from 'Coreboot' to 'Init', but then hangs until it eventually transitions to 'Critical'
  • The Main, Left B-Pillar, and Right B-Pillar camera feeds in the "Camera Preview" menu in Service Mode are blank and never show any frames
  • All of the other camera streams reset on what seems to be a cyclical schedule (every minute or so?), causing the backup and side repeater cams to become unusable for periods of time while backing up
  • Autopilot, Full Self Driving, Traffic Aware Cruise Control, Automatic Emergency Braking, and Lane Keep Assist are all non-functional
  • The virtual display of what's around the car is completely blank (besides my own vehicle there are no cars, lane lines, traffic lights, etc)
  • Sentry Mode turns itself off due to an error, and the live feed thats transmitted to the phone app is unusable (refreshes indefinitely and then fails)
I tried to debug the issue by taking the following steps, none of which resolved the issue or made it better in any way:
  • Resetting the DAS from the Service Menu (required gateway unlock)
  • Pinging DAS from the Service Menu
  • Clearing all camera calibrations from the Service Menu
  • Reinstalling the vehicle software package from the Service Menu (not sure this actually "forcefully" does what it says it does; only took maybe 5 minutes)
  • Rebooting the vehicle with the standard scroll-wheel reset
  • Powering off from the center screen, closing all doors, and waiting 15 minutes
  • Powering off from the center screen, disconnecting the 12V battery, and opening the HV contactors by removing the HVIL(???) connector under the rear bench seat, and waiting 30 minutes
  • Reinstalling the entire same vehicle software package as what was originally installed by having a tech push the update to my car over LTE (2023.44.30.8)
I took the car in for service, reluctantly because she's at 98,000 miles. Thankfully the local service center guys are rockstars and took the car in without an appointment. Unfortunately, so far they've been unable to resolve the issue themselves, and so after a day of troubleshooting, it sounds like they're opening an engineering inquiry where I suppose someone from Palo Alto is going to remotely dial-in and see what's going on.

Supposing the engineering team finds that the processor has been fried, or something to that effect, and they send it off to Palo Alto for more testing -- do you suppose they're going to do a goodwill and replace the AP ECU at Tesla's expense? I'm really hoping they do. Based on what I'm witnessing here, and in other threads regarding this sort of thing, it seems like this is a recent issue caused by software. I can't in good conscience pay $2600 for a replacement Intel Atom-based computer, knowing darn well that the AMD upgrade is so smooth, relatively speaking. I can't even watch YouTube videos on this thing at 720p without the processor getting bogged down and stutter-buffering every 5 seconds. (I'm not joking, that's actually what its like having an Intel-based car now.)

With the ability to transfer FSD this quarter, a temporary $1,000 price reduction for Model Y, and a $500 increase in my trade-in value, it seems like Tesla really wants me to just sell them this car with a borked FSD chip. Sigh. Maybe they've joined the planned-obsolesce scene like Apple.
IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1578.jpeg

IMG_1577.jpeg

IMG_1576.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
I'm posting to see if anybody else has had a recent similar experience to my own. I was driving my 2021 Model Y on Saturday when FSD decided to completely stop functioning during a right turn on the highway with no prior warning. The EPAS (steering) motor completely disengaged, and I started going toward the center highway divider at about 60mph. (I yanked the wheel to prevent from crashing into the barrier.)

I safely and quickly exited the highway and opened up the not-so-secret-anymore Service Mode to see what was going on. Immediately I noticed that the primary DAS processor was marked as being in the CRITICAL state, and the 'Main' and both 'B-Pillar' camera streams had completely stopped, as can be seen in the images below.

The current symptoms of this issue are:

• When Reset, the primary Autopilot Processor (A) is able to reboot, and transitions from 'Coreboot' to 'Init', but then hangs until it eventually transitions to 'Critical'
  • The Main, Left B-Pillar, and Right B-Pillar camera feeds in the "Camera Preview" menu in Service Mode are blank and never show any frames
  • All of the other camera streams reset on what seems to be a cyclical schedule (every minute or so?), causing the backup and side repeater cams to become unusable for periods of time while backing up
  • Autopilot, Full Self Driving, Traffic Aware Cruise Control, Automatic Emergency Braking, and Lane Keep Assist are all non-functional
  • The virtual display of what's around the car is completely blank (besides my own vehicle there are no cars, lane lines, traffic lights, etc)
  • Sentry Mode turns itself off due to an error, and the live feed thats transmitted to the phone app is unusable (refreshes indefinitely and then fails)
I tried to debug the issue by taking the following steps, none of which resolved the issue or made it better in any way:
  • Resetting the DAS from the Service Menu (required gateway unlock)
  • Pinging DAS from the Service Menu
  • Clearing all camera calibrations from the Service Menu
  • Reinstalling the vehicle software package from the Service Menu (not sure this actually "forcefully" does what it says it does; only took maybe 5 minutes)
  • Rebooting the vehicle with the standard scroll-wheel reset
  • Powering off from the center screen, closing all doors, and waiting 15 minutes
  • Powering off from the center screen, disconnecting the 12V battery, and opening the HV contactors by removing the HVIL(???) connector under the rear bench seat, and waiting 30 minutes
  • Reinstalling the entire same vehicle software package as what was originally installed by having a tech push the update to my car over LTE (2023.44.30.8)
I took the car in for service, reluctantly because she's at 98,000 miles. Thankfully the local service center guys are rockstars and took the car in without an appointment. Unfortunately, so far they've been unable to resolve the issue themselves, and so after a day of troubleshooting, it sounds like they're opening an engineering inquiry where I suppose someone from Palo Alto is going to remotely dial-in and see what's going on.

Supposing the engineering team finds that the processor has been fried, or something to that effect, and they send it off to Palo Alto for more testing -- do you suppose they're going to do a goodwill and replace the AP ECU at Tesla's expense? I'm really hoping they do. Based on what I'm witnessing here, and in other threads regarding this sort of thing, it seems like this is a recent issue caused by software. I can't in good conscience pay $2600 for a replacement Intel Atom-based computer, knowing darn well that the AMD upgrade is so smooth, relatively speaking. I can't even watch YouTube videos on this thing at 720p without the processor getting bogged down and stutter-buffering every 5 seconds. (I'm not joking, that's actually what its like having an Intel-based car now.)

With the ability to transfer FSD this quarter, a temporary $1,000 price reduction for Model Y, and a $500 increase in my trade-in value, it seems like Tesla really wants me to just sell them this car with a borked FSD chip. Sigh. Maybe they've joined the planned-obsolesce scene like Apple.
View attachment 1017856
View attachment 1017857
View attachment 1017859
View attachment 1017860
I'm also having this experience at 115,000 miles so no warranty. Resetting the DAS does work for me most of the time, but I have FSD beta and, just like you, when it quits on the highway it's always a little terrifying.

My understanding here is that the Hardware 3 computer was designed with redundant CPUs, presumably to prevent what happened to you. But then over the years, the FSD software grew to where it required the combined power of both CPUs.

This does not bode well for them getting regulatory approval for level 3+ autonomy for Hardware 3.0 vehicles.

My understanding here is that the Hardware 3 computer was designed with redundant CPUs, presumably to prevent what happened to you. But then over the years, the FSD software grew to where it required the combined power of both CPUs.

This does not bode well for them getting regulatory approval for level 3+ autonomy for Hardware 3.0 vehicles.
These are my sentiments exactly.

V12 has completely replaced the existing software, and we don't know anything about its resource use. We do know that it doesn't need all available resources because the V11 visualization software is running at the same time. But again, we don't know anything about the resource use of that either.