Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2019 M3P, suddenly, charging at home on NEMA14-50, 7kw drops to 3 kw.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I moved into a new home in 2022, had NEMA 14 50 installed in Garage and all was great. Suddenly, I'm getting a drop to 3kw instead of the usual 7kw charge. It starts off normal, then I'll check it a few hours later and it's charging at 3kw. I checked the cord and it's plugged on BOTH ends, including the adapter portion completely. It does show one red light on that charger housing, the rest flows green when it powers down to 3kw, but there is no notice of charging error that one would get when the charge cord is not fully seated.
I just lowered the amps to 30 instead of the 32 to see if it makes a difference. Any input on issues? I searched through here, but nothing came up with this issue. Perhaps my charge cord is getting old? 🤔

Model Y Do It Yourself | Tesla says that most cases of a flashing red light on the Mobile Connector indicate a high temperature detected at the plug.

If you unplug it and look into the holes of the receptacle, do you see full size brass contacts, or do you see half size contacts that do not look like brass? If you see the latter, you may want to replace the receptacle with one with full size brass contacts.

Reactions: jmaddr