Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 Performance Wheels [in NYC]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WSBKing420

Yazzi Da Grate
Apr 19, 2021
NYC
Hi guys, I just ordered my Tesla Model 3 (I'm sooo fking excited!!! šŸ˜) and I have a question about the Uberturbine low profile wheels/tires.

So just to let you guys know why I'm asking, I live in NYC so potholes are almost unavoidable to some extent. Also, I am leasing, so buying different wheels isn't really much of an option, simply wouldn't make sense financially.

My question is how susceptible will I be to getting flats? In general people with low profile tires in nyc get flats rather frequently. Ofcourse I will drive carefully in certain areas and will do everything I can to avoid potholes but realistically speaking I probably will hit a few here and there. I would like to know your experiences with your model 3 performance wheels in large city areas, especially in NYC, and most importantly how easy is it to change them at a local tire shop. Are the tires that come with the performance wheels easily changeable with any tire of that size or do they require some sort of specific tire that I would have to get at Tesla?

I really appreciate any advice!

BTW... DOGE! šŸ˜‚

2021 M3P here. I blew out a pzero on week one... granted there was a section of road missing (canā€™t even call it a pothole) and I had driven them in 38* weather the day before (recommended never to drive under 45 or sidewalls can get micro cracks). I also bubbled 2 other PZEROs in the next week. The PZEROs beyond suck. Especially filled to as much PSI as they recommend. I think the sloped sidewall and relative narrow contact patch makes them very weak in the sidewall.

Already swapped to forgestar CF5V 19x9s with pilot sport all seasons with 245/40/19 profile (nearly same diameter, extra .65ā€ sidewall and not sloped). Hit some potholes and so far no bubbles or nonsense.

Is it the 20s on the 35 profile? Maybe. Is it the slope of the PZEROs sidewall? Likely. Did I get micro cracks from the cold, possibly. But needless to say the setup is far from ideal in the winter let alone on the terrible NYC streets. Good thing is I kinda wanted the excuse to swap the wheels and justify it to the wife. I did like the look of the Ubers, but the satin black CF5V looks a million times better with my MSM paint.

Hit up @MODEL+ if looking for wheels. He can give you all the details. He set me up great.

Good luck

Reactions: MODEL+
Reread ur post about the lease. In that case you can go with 245/35/20s and that will bump the sidewall up. They definitely fit be because the referral zero g wheels run those (5k and have track tires; donā€™t bother with our winters lol).

Iā€™d get pilot sport as4s. I got them and they are great. The summer tires are supposed to be run in the winter (below 40-45) due to concerns of sidewall cracking.

You can get Tesla specific offerings, but I say donā€™t bother. The road boise is allegedly more but I donā€™t hear much difference on my non-Tesla specifics, plus the sound system is great and Iā€™m never hearing anything but my music anyhow