Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model Y HV battery replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, while on vacation, I received an error message stating that I may be be able to charge my Model Y. After talking to the nearest service center (Savannah), it was determined that the HV battery needed to be replaced. I drove the car to the Savannah service center and arranged for a rental car to return to PA at the end of my vacation. After 2 -3 weeks, I was notified that the repair was complete and that I could return to Savanah (over 800 miles) to pick up the car, which I did. Tesla reimbursed me for the car rental and one night hotel to pick up the car but would not reimburse airfare or transport the car to my local service center. it was a real hassle, but I expect it would of been the same for any car.

After I pick up the car, I asked to see the specification of the replacement battery. I received no response from the Savannah service center. Since I could not find anyplace to call or email concerning my request, I opened up a maintenance request asking to receive this information. Following 2 days of text messages, the I received a response that "after speaking with the technicians and management we are unable to provide any exact specs. Please let us know if you experience and concerns with the replacement battery."

It seems to me that if they replace a battery according to the warranty, "Tesla will ensure that the energy capacity of the replacement battery is at least equal to that of the original battery before the failure occurred taking into considerations other factors including age and mileage of the vehicle" they know some specification of the old battery vs new.

Has anyone had success in escalating this type matter for a resolution? If so, how? Thanks.

It appears to be slightly less by about 5%. at 80% charge I was getting about 250 miles, Now it about 240. In real driving experience, I doubt it will make a big difference, but now am curious as to why they don't want to share that information with the customer. Surely there is some spec or measurement.
Because I'm pretty sure that they don't have to replace the battery with a better or newer one.

And as I expect may have soon been your case, ANY working battery is better than a non-working battery.

You may want to take it up to 100% and leave it sitting for a day or two to let the batteries balance and the BMS to recalibrate.

Reactions: Yelobird
I had my battery replaced in Dec for my 2021. Didn't bother asking Tesla for any specs. According to the part#, I believe it was a new battery and not a remanufactured one. Looking under the car, it looked brand new also. At 100%, it was showing 325 miles. Probably lower now since it's been 7 months. I'm at 79% right now and it's showing 254 miles. I agree with charging to 100% and let the BMS recalibrate.

I am interested in finding out if my experience (not getting battery specification) is unique or if others have had the same issue. Trying to decide how hard to push to get an answer from Tesla.
What are you hoping to decipher in a spec sheet? You had a bad battery in a 3 year old car, they put a replacement battery in and now you have a working car. Seems like with rentals etc you got what you needed and a working car. Unsure what a spec sheet will do.

Reactions: ewoodrick