Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Plaid on Cars & Bids (not mine)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice, if it had the matrix headlights I would bid... Cars & Bids also charges a $4500 "buyers fee" or buyers pay a 4.5% buyer’s fee to Cars & Bids. This worse than the dealership fees.. That Model S is about $92K with fees, before taxes, taxes, registration fees and the "buyers fees"...

"Doug's take" is significant.

Have you seen what the traditional auctions houses charge? Doug is leaving a lot of money on the table. Auction houses charge a hefty fee to register the car, charge a percentage to the seller (some around 10%) and charge the buyer a percentage (usually around 10-12%).

Thank goodness for the Doug's of the world. He doesn't even charge anything to the sellers.

Last edited:
Have you seen what the traditional auctions houses charge? Doug is leaving a lot of money on the table. Auction houses charge a hefty fee to register the car, charge a percentage to the seller (some around 10%) and charge the buyer a percentage (usually around 10-12%).

Thank goodness for the Doug's of the world. He doesn't even charge anything to the sellers.

Not true. Manheim charges 1%-2%. And they actually do some heavy lifting during the transaction whereas C&B is just a glorified classified ads.

My take: both Manheim and C&B are overpriced.

Reactions: morbidz
You can get a brand new untitled Plaid right now for $110K, why would you get used car and pay all these fees, if you are going to buy a Plaid, I would get it with the new matrix headlights, which in my opinion is the biggest weakness on the older Model S's.. and with hardware 4 coming... the legacy Plaids are going to tank fast...

For reference...

Comparatively Bring a Trailer charges 5% and $100 to list a car ($0 to list a car on Cars & Bids).
I never heard of either of these sites until today, and I wouldn't use either to sell a car. marketplace on FB has been the most successful route for me, for next to minimal fees, I have also bought and sold on eBay, 4 of the vehicles I own today are eBay acquisitions, so I avoid the middle man fees.

All 4 were bought from the original owners. I am sure this model works for some people...

Last edited:
I never heard of either of these sites until today, and I wouldn't use either to sell a car. marketplace on FB has been the most successful route for me, for next to minimal fees, I have also bought and sold on eBay, 4 of the vehicles I own today are eBay acquisitions, so I avoid the middle man fees.

All 4 were bought from the original owners. I am sure this model works for some people...
Bought and sold my v wagon and GT-R on these sites, and they bring in millions and millions and millions a year. They're doing something right 👍

Reactions: Xenoilphobe