Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022/2023 Model 3 Mass After Market Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to embark on a mass install of a variety of goody's :D
Basically bought most of this stuff last year and wanted to wait until i got everything before i installed it all.

I only want to remove the panels once ! :D

Here is what i have

T-Parts Data module

LCD Dashboard

Screen Rotate bracket

DDPAI Z50 4K Dual Dashcam Z50 Dual GPS

Random Parts inc
Solid State Relay ( for dashcam )
Wires
Cig adapter multi port

Here is what i have removed from my interior so far

Passenger side footwell trim
PXL_20230216_101412812.jpg

passenger side carpet trim side

PXL_20230216_101409258.jpg

Driver side bottom trim

PXL_20230216_101416751.jpg

Center console trim ( So far )

PXL_20230216_122916741.jpg

Tesla USB Module removed and Tparts module fitted

PXL_20230216_101402910.jpg

Found a surprise Guest, the USB datacable is there already ( well one end of it ) i thought they removed all traces of the USB cable ?

PXL_20230216_101632503.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230216_101628848.jpg
    PXL_20230216_101628848.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: Durzel
Following with interest :)

How hard did you find it taking off the panel underneath the glovebox? I'm looking to piggyback off the ambient lighting to install an LED strip to light up the rear seat footwells, but I'll be damned if I can work out how to remove the trim piece, even after removing the 3 screws it won't budge.

Also regards the USB cable - some cars still had the cable in situ, and just needed to be plugged into a data-enabled USB hub, other later cars they took the cable out of the loom completely and you have to wire one up to the MCU yourself.

Following with interest :)

How hard did you find it taking off the panel underneath the glovebox? I'm looking to piggyback off the ambient lighting to install an LED strip to light up the rear seat footwells, but I'll be damned if I can work out how to remove the trim piece, even after removing the 3 screws it won't budge.

Also regards the USB cable - some cars still had the cable in situ, and just needed to be plugged into a data-enabled USB hub, other later cars they took the cable out of the loom completely and you have to wire one up to the MCU yourself.
I used this video and it helped a lot ! ( requires quite a bit of force )

Regarding the USB , My model 3 is only 3 months old. Suprised they put the cables back in !

• Helpful
You're very lucky then, although I think Tparts do offer a cable to refit, but either way its more work.

Thanks for the tip. :)

Sorry should have specified , only 1/2 the usb run is there, you still need a usb cable ran into the MCU and the other end plugs into the already fitted lead.

I was just more suprised as last i read was they removed it fully.

• Informative
Do you know what the Tesla warranty situation is with these? I would be concerned that plugging in non-Tesla devices would invalidate the warranty should you need to take the car to a service centre at some point.

OK got a few more bits installed today . But really struggling to find a switched 12v source/trigger for a relay . Anyone know of a easy one on a 2022 M3 ? Already have a Always live 12v and Negative from the Cig lighter.

PXL_20230218_111018968.jpg

PXL_20230218_111021869.jpg

PXL_20230218_111025593.jpg

PXL_20230218_111033523.jpg

PXL_20230218_112209185.jpg

Thanks , only problem is if the car is in sentry mode wont the camera stay active ?
If the car is awake, the cigarette lighter 12v will be on. So, if you have Sentry on it’ll be live.

There is (or was, still should be) a permanent 12v live behind the drivers side footwell trim. It’s mentioned here in this video:

I think the voltage drops to 9v when the car is asleep but should be enough to keep a dashcam on.

This is assuming you want a permanent 12v live of course. If you’re running a dashcam off of it and you just want some “walk away” power, then the cigarette lighter 12v is probably fine because the car won’t instantly sleep when you leave anyway, it’ll stay awake for a minimum 15 mins, possibly longer after a drive.

If the car is awake, the cigarette lighter 12v will be on. So, if you have Sentry on it’ll be live.

There is (or was, still should be) a permanent 12v live behind the drivers side footwell trim. It’s mentioned here in this video:

I think the voltage drops to 9v when the car is asleep but should be enough to keep a dashcam on.

This is assuming you want a permanent 12v live of course. If you’re running a dashcam off of it and you just want some “walk away” power, then the cigarette lighter 12v is probably fine because the car won’t instantly sleep when you leave anyway, it’ll stay awake for a minimum 15 mins, possibly longer after a drive.
Thanks .

I gave up trying to find a switched cable and relay . Instead just used the Cig lighter cables with a inline fuse and a 5c/USB converter.

My car sentry is off when at work and home so it turns off fine then :D

While the passenger kickplate is off ( hardest part to remove by far )

I decided to order

DIY-NEWVERSION_720x.png

For the small price, seems worth maybe getting use out of the speakers that dont work ?

Reactions: tj333 and Durzel