Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.4 required to maintain AT&T compatibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Monterey and Santa Clara county Ca must still have 3G or whatever as my car still displays LTE on 2021.40.6 and I am staying off that disaster of V11 for as long as it takes
If your car displays LTE, it's working on LTE, not 3G, which is the older technology before LTE. The worry is that there are some functions Tesla uses that relies on 3G that might no longer work if AT&T really shuts down all 3G (right now it seems the rollout is still slow, so a lot of areas still have 3G). My speculation earlier in the thread is the function that wakes up your car after it has been asleep for a while (presuming car is not connected to wifi), given it has been mentioned that works by a text message from Tesla's servers, which presumably was on 3G before the update.

For other functionality, if your area has decent LTE coverage, I don't think there will be much, if any impact.

@stopcrazypp If 3G is just needed to wake the car from afar, that's great by me - my car is mostly only alone in the garage connected to wifi. Something I read was the car always tried 3G first but happy to be wrong on that bit (and thanks, I do know 3G proceeded LTE which preceded 5G etc :) )

If LTE continues to be what my car connects to on the road, I'm a happy person avoiding V11 forever.

Reactions: smogne41 and OxBrew
@stopcrazypp If 3G is just needed to wake the car from afar, that's great by me - my car is mostly only alone in the garage connected to wifi. Something I read was the car always tried 3G first but happy to be wrong on that bit (and thanks, I do know 3G proceeded LTE which preceded 5G etc :) )

If LTE continues to be what my car connects to on the road, I'm a happy person avoiding V11 forever.
I think what you say about trying 3G first is probably this post from me, which are IOT devices that may be configured in voice mode, where it will always try 3G first and then refuse to connect to the LTE connection if there is no 3G link available.
2022.4 required to maintain AT&T compatibility

However, I doubt voice mode is what Tesla is using after the car is awake, given the car doesn't need any voice/text access after the car is awake. Instead, 3G would likely be a fallback for the data connection and any update perhaps will just remove 3G completely so that the car never tries to connect to it.

Again, the only function I can find confirmed that uses text messaging is the wakeup command (there may be others, but didn't find evidence of it).

Last edited: