Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 M3P pickup in ATL to be registered in NC - it might have been an issue.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a scare yesterday.
I got the VIN for our second M3P to be delivered for pickup in Atlanta. We live in Murphy NC so the location makes perfect sense. Our first one was delivered to ATL in Nov of 21 and was registered in NC - no problem.
This time, the Tesla app would not let me complete the registration info in the app. It stated that they could not register the car in NC if picked up in GA. I did the "Tesla Advisor" phone dance and he confirmed that NC seemed to be pretty hard nosed on the "new" law. I explained that we had done it for our 22 M3P. He realized that but was not very optimistic.
The logistics of an ATL pickup (2 hours away) vs and Charlotte pickup (4.5 hours) became a concern. Plus, I have an appointment with Stealth to have a hitch installed the same day as I pickup the car.
The advisor said he would get back me an answer before the end of Friday. Well about 10 minutes later I got a text from him that we were on for an ATL pick up as scheduled with the registration in NC - just like before.
Whew!!!
BTW - after that, I searched the NCDMV sites for any mention of not being able to register a new vehicle in NC by the selling dealer if it is delivered outside of the state. I'm pretty sure that Tesla is not making this up but it does seem to be a bit of a strange rule. All of the taxes and fees go to NC anyway so I don't understand the logic.
But, it looks like I will get the car on time, in my desired location, and get my hitch installed by Stealth at their development center.