Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad experience ordering a Tesla - For pickup in Washington State and Roadtrip Home to Alaska

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to order a Model Y, avoid the extra $2500 fee for delivery to Alaska, pickup the vehicle in Washington State, and drive it home to Alaska.

Before I decided to order, I contacted Tesla and explained what I wanted to do. I was assured that picking up the vehicle in Washington State (and only Washington State) was perfectly fine. I specifically asked about vehicle registration and was told that when I picked up the vehicle, I would register the car with Alaska through the Tesla app.

After I ordered the vehicle, I was warned by Tesla that there are long stretches without charging stations on the drive to Alaska. I already knew this and explained that I had done much research. I had plans to stop and recharge overnight at RV campgrounds with 50A / 240V electric hookups (I was not in a hurry to make it home and had time). I had already ordered the Tesla mobile connector, all of the plug adapters, the CCS1 adapter, and even capable extension cords should I need any. I also made backup plans just in case any of the campgrounds or chargers unexpected did not work when I arrived at them. I've driven the Al-Can and Cassiar highways many times, including once in a non-Tesla EV.

I asked repeatedly about the initial temporary registration and no potential problems or issues were ever mentioned.

After receiving the vin#, paying for the vehicle, and making a delivery appointment in Seattle, I received a text message informing me that the vehicle was ready to pickup early. I considered changing my travel plans, but first asked Tesla (again) to make sure the temporary Alaska registration would be done when I picked up the vehicle.

Now, for the first time, I was told that no, AK registration was not available. Tesla told me that Washington State only allows Tesla to issue a 3 day registration. I explained 3 days is certainly not enough time to drive an EV back to Alaska.

I inquired with the Alaska DMV. I learned that if I physically went to an Alaska DMV office with the vin# and bill of sale, they could give me a temporary 30 day registration. I asked Tesla for a copy of the bill of sale and was told no, it would only be available after I received the vehicle in Seattle.

I inquired with the Washington State DMV. I learned that if I physically went to a Washington DMV office with the vin# and bill of sale, they could give me a temporary 9 day registration. Although 9 days is a bit shorter than I'd like, that amount of time would be enough for the drive.

I explained these things to Tesla and asked them to verify that the bill of sale would at least be provided when I received the vehicle. The answer was: No, we don't do that. Tesla explained to me that the bill of sale would be mailed to my home address within 2 weeks after receiving the vehicle. I explained that obviously this would not work for me. I asked if they could make an exception in my case, or if they had any other ideas. Nope. They kept insisting I pay the $2500 extra for transportation of the vehicle to Alaska.

I explained that it made no sense to me to pay $2500 to miss out on an epic road trip. Unless they could think of a solution (like giving me the bill of sale!), I asked that my order be cancelled. They cancelled my order.

This is when Tesla started ghosting me. After speaking with a friend who lives in Seattle, I asked Tesla if my friend could pickup a vehicle on my behalf. Crickets.

I've repeatedly asked when my payment for the vehicle will be refunded (after almost a week, it has not been refunded). Radio silence. Absolutely no replies or even acknowledgements. I am planning to call my bank tomorrow and see what they can do with regards to the vehicle I paid for but can not receive. I hope there is just a short delay with the funds being refunded...although if that is case, why hasn't Tesla communicated that? Otherwise, this seems like criminal fraud and theft to me.

It has been a very frustrating experience. I am posting this here just in case any other Alaskans consider buying a vehicle from Tesla, picking it up in another State, and driving it home. I wish I had known about the registration process before placing an order.
-- Jeff

Sorry you had such a poor experience!

I can relate to wanting to pickup your car in Washington to save on delivery fees. When I ordered my M3, Tesla only told me very late that the temp plate would only be good for a few days, and that I should just get it delivered to Portland and get a few months worth of a temp plate (annoying as I had no issue driving up there, and even looked forward to it!). I ended up paying the delivery fee (was about $500 I think).

I hope they process your refund soon. Tesla took MONTHS to issue me a refund for overpaid registration fees.

Hope you have a better experience in the future!

Reactions: randy206
I wanted to order a Model Y, avoid the extra $2500 fee for delivery to Alaska, pickup the vehicle in Washington State, and drive it home to Alaska.

Before I decided to order, I contacted Tesla and explained what I wanted to do. I was assured that picking up the vehicle in Washington State (and only Washington State) was perfectly fine. I specifically asked about vehicle registration and was told that when I picked up the vehicle, I would register the car with Alaska through the Tesla app.

After I ordered the vehicle, I was warned by Tesla that there are long stretches without charging stations on the drive to Alaska. I already knew this and explained that I had done much research. I had plans to stop and recharge overnight at RV campgrounds with 50A / 240V electric hookups (I was not in a hurry to make it home and had time). I had already ordered the Tesla mobile connector, all of the plug adapters, the CCS1 adapter, and even capable extension cords should I need any. I also made backup plans just in case any of the campgrounds or chargers unexpected did not work when I arrived at them. I've driven the Al-Can and Cassiar highways many times, including once in a non-Tesla EV.

I asked repeatedly about the initial temporary registration and no potential problems or issues were ever mentioned.

After receiving the vin#, paying for the vehicle, and making a delivery appointment in Seattle, I received a text message informing me that the vehicle was ready to pickup early. I considered changing my travel plans, but first asked Tesla (again) to make sure the temporary Alaska registration would be done when I picked up the vehicle.

Now, for the first time, I was told that no, AK registration was not available. Tesla told me that Washington State only allows Tesla to issue a 3 day registration. I explained 3 days is certainly not enough time to drive an EV back to Alaska.

I inquired with the Alaska DMV. I learned that if I physically went to an Alaska DMV office with the vin# and bill of sale, they could give me a temporary 30 day registration. I asked Tesla for a copy of the bill of sale and was told no, it would only be available after I received the vehicle in Seattle.

I inquired with the Washington State DMV. I learned that if I physically went to a Washington DMV office with the vin# and bill of sale, they could give me a temporary 9 day registration. Although 9 days is a bit shorter than I'd like, that amount of time would be enough for the drive.

I explained these things to Tesla and asked them to verify that the bill of sale would at least be provided when I received the vehicle. The answer was: No, we don't do that. Tesla explained to me that the bill of sale would be mailed to my home address within 2 weeks after receiving the vehicle. I explained that obviously this would not work for me. I asked if they could make an exception in my case, or if they had any other ideas. Nope. They kept insisting I pay the $2500 extra for transportation of the vehicle to Alaska.

I explained that it made no sense to me to pay $2500 to miss out on an epic road trip. Unless they could think of a solution (like giving me the bill of sale!), I asked that my order be cancelled. They cancelled my order.

This is when Tesla started ghosting me. After speaking with a friend who lives in Seattle, I asked Tesla if my friend could pickup a vehicle on my behalf. Crickets.

I've repeatedly asked when my payment for the vehicle will be refunded (after almost a week, it has not been refunded). Radio silence. Absolutely no replies or even acknowledgements. I am planning to call my bank tomorrow and see what they can do with regards to the vehicle I paid for but can not receive. I hope there is just a short delay with the funds being refunded...although if that is case, why hasn't Tesla communicated that? Otherwise, this seems like criminal fraud and theft to me.

It has been a very frustrating experience. I am posting this here just in case any other Alaskans consider buying a vehicle from Tesla, picking it up in another State, and driving it home. I wish I had known about the registration process before placing an order.
-- Jeff
Wow. I bought my Y Performance in Washington and made sure I had a certified check.

They had me sign a bill of sale and gave me copies of them before driving to Idaho. A few days later filed for a longer temporary in Idaho for 30 days and had them email a more comprehensive copy of sale that had some of the certificate of Origin Info on it which Idaho accepted for issuing a temporary.

Idaho would Not issue a state title until they had possession of the original certificate of origin.. That took a while and arrived by mail to me.

Sorry for the problems and now the wait to get your money back.

I do think you would have liked the car.

ps. still kicking myself for forgetting to get /do a referral code. DOH.

Last edited:

-- Jeff
Sorry to hear of your experience. Perhaps you would like to take a vacation in New Jersey? Not only do we have great Jersey Tomatoes, Jersey Sweet Corn and much better pizza than you have in Alaska but there is no sales tax on Zero Emission vehicles. There are also plenty of charge stations.

Last edited:
From what I have seen it normally takes them a month or two to refund the payments for cancelled orders.

$2,500 to ship the thing???

IIRC, I paid $500 to ship a Prius from Santa Fe NM to Dallas TX

Funny thing was it still had some snow deep in the scuttle and when I told the driver, he showed me a picture he'd taken the day before at pickup ... it was just a white mound in a white landscape

By bill of sale, do you mean the Motor Vehicle Order Agreement? I got a preliminary one even before delivery. And after delivery, I think a revised final order agreement PDF was available for download at Tesla.com