Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22 3Performance brake cleaning questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello first post, I have a couple questions about servicing the brakes as I plan to do this in a couple months. Are the front caliper female torx 20mm confirmed? I don't have this socket and want to purchase it ahead of time. What are the torque specs for the 40mm torx pad pins and the female 20mm main caliper bolts?

Any special tools needed to remove the rear calipers as I cannot find any information online. Torque specs required for the rear?

I have read on here that these vehicles are now able to retract the pistons in service mode. Am i correct? I plan on putting wheel chocks at each wheel. If I am able to retract the pistons in service mode will this completely disable the parking brake from enabling or will I stil have to remove the power plug to it as soon as I remove the wheel? I have torque wrenches and aluminum paste and I will not use brake cleaner on the calipers. Thanks for any input or links to perform these tasks in advance! cheers!!

Hey.

Have a look in the service manual. It should have the torque for the screws and everything you need.

This is for Model 3 Performance: Model 3 Service Manual | Tesla

According to the parts catalog the "Tesla-approved brake caliper lubricant" is CRC Silaramic. Part number: 1063021-00-A. As for the brake cleaner, I still have no idea.

I haven't done this myself yet on my M3LR, as I'm waiting for the winter to be over, but I will be using CRC Silaramic grease and CRC Brakleen (brake cleener recommended on the Silaramic tube). I don't think I would use aluminum grease for this.

If you need to order parts you order them by openening a service request in the app and ask for the parts by part number. Part numbers can be found here for the M3:
Front brake
Rear brake

Here is also a list of torques for the brakes: Model 3 Service Manual | Tesla

Hope this helps.