Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mountain Pass Performance (MPP) Extended Wheel Studs - Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found some threads on Model 3 extended stud replacements, but nothing really on Model Y. It seems our choices are ARP, Dorman, or MPP studs. I decided to bite the bullet on MPP studs, after trading some emails with Jesse from MPP regarding the install - which apparently install without requiring hub removal. Seemed easy enough. Remove the caliper and rotor, then swap the OEM ones for the longer MPP ones.

stud_0.jpg

To start the rear stud install, you'll need to jack up the rear of the car, pull the wheels off, and then get back into the car, and put the car into "Tow Mode". Tow mode lets the rear hub rotate without the parking brake engaged. When you engage tow mode, you'll hear the rear parking brake disengage, and you should be able to grab and spin the hub by hand.

stud_1.jpg

Next step is to remove the caliper bolts. Two per brake caliper, and you'll need an E18 external torx. For reference, the following pics for the rear install is driver rear, so front of the car is to the left of the pictures.

stud_2.jpg

Take the two caliper bolts out completely, and set the brake caliper to the side, but suspended so that it's not pulling on the brake hose. I set mine on top of a toolbox.

stud_3.jpg

Next three T30 torx bolts hold the heat shield on. Remove those. Some people don't like the heat shield, so they end up using tin snips to cut them off. I kept mine, and just rotated the heat shield out of the way, while installing the studs.

stud_4.jpg

Then thread on a lug nut to hammer on, and tap the nut a few times. It doesn't take a ton of force, and I found that 2-3 medium strikes worked the best. The nut is there to protect the threads (in case you wanted to reinstall the OEM studs for some reason), so if you dont plan to save them, can probably just tap the studs themselves.

stud_5.jpg

You will be able to fish the OEM stud out the back, by rotating the heat shield out of the way. You can feed the MPP stud in from the same location. OEM one drops out easy, because it's short. The MPP one is exactly sized so that you have to really mess with it to get it in. This was a combo of rotating the hub back and forth and "screwing" in the stud to get it to clear the spindle. The fit is incredibly tight, and if the stud were any tiny bit longer, no way they would have fit without hub removal. Good job here MPP!

stud_7.jpg

Once past the spindle, the head of the MPP stud will hit the rubber seal. There are two options here. 1) Lube up the MPP stud head and rotate it back and forth, and try to get the head to slide over the seal, or 2) Cut a groove into the rubber seal. Then use the groove to get the heads of all the studs to pass by. I ended up using WD40 to squeeze the heads by the seal on one side, and just cut a groove on the seal when I did the passenger side.

stud_9.jpg

Once the head of the stud is past the rubber seal, pull the stud into place with the OEM lug nut. Some people use washers or spacers to do this, and I've done that method in the past, but this time I used Lisle 22800 stud installer tool. It is worth every penny! Made pulling in each stud, a piece of cake. To keep the hub from rotating, you can just jam a socket extension into one of the holes to hold the hub in place, while you pull the stud in. No need to tighten fully at this point, just get the heads flush with the hub.

stud_10.jpg

Repeat the process, until all the studs are installed. On the last one, you won't have the hole to insert the socket extension to hold the hub in place, but you can leverage off two of the existing installed studs and use a breaker bar to get that last stud flush with the hub. Again, no need to full torque yet.

stud_11.jpg

Next, reinstall the heat shield bolts. Install the rotor. And the two E18 caliper bolts. Torque caliper bolts to 62 ft-lbs. The factory rotor is originally held on by a 10mm bolt to ease caliper and wheel installation, but really isn't needed. Check fitment of your wheel spacers, and if they interfere with your wheel spacer, then don't install this bolt. I ended up just knocking out studs from my bolt-on spacers, and drilled the holes out so I could use mu exiting spacers as slip-on spacers. Because of that, I am still using the 10mm rotor retaining bolt. since my spacers have a large hole that clears it.

stud_12.jpg

From here, you will want to take the car out of tow mode. When you do, you'll hear the calipers re-engage the rotors. Now use the Lisle stud installer tool on top of the rotor, and torque each stud to 130 ft-lbs to fully seat the stud. Then you can install your slip on spacer.

stud_13.jpg

And now onto the front studs. For purposes of photos, the front photos are of the passenger right, so the front of the car is to the right of the pics. First, remove the two E18 caliper mounting bolts.

stud_14.jpg

Then the 10mm bolt that holds the brake line.

stud_15.jpg

Again, rest the caliper on something so it's not pulling on the brake hose. Then remove the 10mm rotor retaining bolt if you have it.

stud_16.jpg

Next, the three T30 torx heat shield bolts are removed.

stud_17.jpg

As we did with the rear, install a nut onto the stud and hit a few times with hammer to remove it, and fish it out the back. And here is where the fun begins! I must have spent 20 or 30 minutes trying to weezle the MPP stud in from all sides around the spindle - no dice. No matter any angle, force, creative wiggling or rotating, I just couldn't get the MPP stud in.

Now I wonder if the MYP spindle is different than a MYLR, and maybe MPP's testing was only on a MYLR model?

But in any case, this is a fail in my book. Really defeated the purpose of why I chose the MPP stud to begin with. The closest I could get was between the two caliper mounting ears of the spindle. So close to clearing, but won't.

stud_19.jpg

Next, I proceeded to loosen the hub bolts to see if I could get enough play to "screw" the stud into place. You'll need to use an 18mm socket with a 3" extension to reach these three bolts. No need to take them out, as later I find out the drive shaft has limited movement.

stud_20.jpg

You end up with about 1/8" of gap between hub and spindle. Even if the hub bolts are removed, the drive shaft won't come out anymore than the 1/8". It's SOOO close to being able to squeeze in, you can almost taste victory.

stud_21.jpg

At this point, I realize, the drive shaft nut needs to be removed and hub pulled off. I really didn't feel like putting the car back together to pull the hub, and decided to just grind a tiny portion of spindle to clear the head. It didn't take much, but i was able to just "kiss" it enough with a dremel to enable the stud head to squeeze by with some turning action on the stud. I'll take it!

stud_22.jpg

Same as before, lodge my socket extension and use the Lisle tool to pull the stud flush. No seal for the stud head to squeeze by in the front.

stud_23.jpg

Repeat until all studs are installed. Then torque the 3 hub bolts back to 63 ft-lbs, and install the three T30 heat shield bolts.

stud_24.jpg

Reinstall the 10mm hose bracket clamp bolt, the rotor, and the two E18 caliper bolts. Torque E18 caliper bolts to 70 ft-lbs. After that's completed, you can use the Lisle stud installer tool on top of the rotor and torque each stud to 130 ft-lbs to pull the studs fully flush. I used a plastic coated bike tire tool wedged into the cooling vain to hold the hub from spinning.

stud_25.jpg

When I got to the driver side, I decided to pull the hub, before I got the wheel off. Sorry I didn't take pics of this, but you'll need a 32mm socket and a large torque wrench. Torque spec for the axle nut is 221 ft-lbs, and I used an old gear puller to push the driveshaft back to get more clearance for the stud head. The FSM's are online on this process, but Firehuntah made a good video showing the process on a Model 3 - HERE

When done, then slip on your spacer, and install wheel. Finished!

stud_26.jpg

I took the time to write this, hoping it would document and help others out on the fence for this install. If it helps out a couple of you out there, then it was worth my time!!

Installing studs on the car, you're braver than most lol, I always pull the hub for press fit for the reasons you outlined above. I do like that stud tool and alternate between that and a press to install studs, both work well.

An impact gun would have made the job much easier.

I have impact tools, but not sure it would have made the job any easier. Unless you're talking about the 32mm axle nut. In that case, it didn't even occur to me to try that. Honestly, griding the side a tiny bit only took me maybe all of 3 minutes.

If I were doing this all over again, I would have just pulled all 4 hubs, and gone with Dorman 610-490 studs at less than half the price. If anyone else is able to install the MPP's on a Model Y without pulling the front hubs, I'd be really curious to know.

Dorman 610-490 studs at less than half the price.
Smart man. Or buy the same studs direct from MSI for 13$/ea and avoid the tesla tax / shipping from turn14.

Also, MSI’s owner isn’t likely to query their customer database when you privately disagree with their stance on topics with some random internet user that ends up being affiliated with them. Highly doubt they’ll verbally berate you and then attempt to claim emotional distress while calling /you/ “toxic”. 😂

• Funny
Reactions: dfwatt and ngng
Smart man. Or buy the same studs direct from MSI for 13$/ea and avoid the tesla tax / shipping from turn14.

Also, MSI’s owner isn’t likely to query their customer database when you privately disagree with their stance on topics with some random internet user that ends up being affiliated with them. Highly doubt they’ll verbally berate you and then attempt to claim emotional distress while calling /you/ “toxic”. 😂

Nobody is making their own studs. They're all whitelabels. Even if a vendor was making them, I wouldn't trust some random company to make them correctly. You can't go wrong with ARP or MSI!

Sorry if I missed it but how much longer are the studs you used and are they the exact same length as the 610-490?
Bart404 - I dont have the Dorman studs for comparison, but from internet descriptions, it sounds like it might be close to the MPP length.

The OEM rear stud is about 46mm from end of thread to the base of the hat (where the stud bottoms out on the hub). Same measurement on the front stud was 45.5mm. The MPP stud is 70mm for that same dimension, but the last 2mm of that length is unthreaded. Pic of the rear OEM stud vs MPP is below. Hope that helps.

stud_27.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MODEL+
Bart404 - I dont have the Dorman studs for comparison, but from internet descriptions, it sounds like it might be close to the MPP length.

The OEM rear stud is about 46mm from end of thread to the base of the hat (where the stud bottoms out on the hub). Same measurement on the front stud was 45.5mm. The MPP stud is 70mm for that same dimension, but the last 2mm of that length is unthreaded. Pic of the rear OEM stud vs MPP is below. Hope that helps.

View attachment 1006115
Thanks! The Dorman 610-490 is listed as 69.75. I'll have to research if there's something between the two.

This looks interesting. Extended titanium for $310.

This looks interesting. Extended titanium for $310.
Titanium is not stronger than steel. Reduce weight by all means, but wheel studs? Come on. Not to mention wheel studs are wear items and should be replaced.

While we were waiting in the staging area, we got to see a set titanium studs in action firsthand on another shop's BMW M3 at Eurotuner GP some years ago at the drag strip, the photographer was quick on the trigger:

WnOgM7l.jpg

rGyBQMp.jpg

The wheel almost made the 1/4 mile, the workers had to chase it down. There was significant damage on the rear fender and the owner is lucky this didn't happen at high speed on the road course.

It's simply not worth it for such a critical item as they are typically are outsourced from China or other overseas companies.

While we were waiting in the staging area, we got to see a set titanium studs in action firsthand on another shop's BMW M3 at Eurotuner GP some years ago at the drag strip, the photographer was quick on the trigger:

WnOgM7l.jpg

rGyBQMp.jpg

The wheel almost made the 1/4 mile, the workers had to chase it down. There was significant damage on the rear fender and the owner is lucky this didn't happen at high speed on the road course.

It's simply not worth it for such a critical item as they are typically are outsourced from China or other overseas companies.

the photographer should be drag racing with that kind of reaction time 😂 the bmw owner should get a new tshirt…wheel off.

Mind explaining why you need extended studs? (sorry If I missed it).

Never mind. I see you're installing spacers. That said, I'd be hesitant to install those on a MY, especially if still under warranty. Changes the geometry and adds stress when the vehicle is already heavy. Is this for aesthetics?