Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

22' Inch Wheels Model S owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The best 22" setup is to have your own flatbed as well as a warehouse full of tires.

I had 21s for the first 18 months I owned my S. In that period, blew out 3 sidewalls. Even a tiny pothole will do it. I'd imagine a large pebble could take out a 22" setup.

Don't do it. It may be cool looking, but I predict you will regret it.

You must be speeding through potholes. 22" on my previous MS for 5 years and on my current MS for 1 year, no blown sidewalls.

Reactions: EVSteve and Saxgod
Running 22" staggered right now. +30 offset front +35 rear with lowering brackets for the air suspension. 12,000 miles so far in the northeast without any issue. Yes if you hit a big pothole damage will happen. Simple solution is pay attention and keep the tires at the proper psi. I'm running 255/30R22 on the front and 295/25R22 on the rear. The front tires do rub but only very little and only at a specific steering angle when backing up. Other than that there's no contact anywhere even with the lowering brackets set to low.

Most important thing especially if you have a P100D will be load rating. If you drop the front to 245 the load rating falls too far to be considered safe. Stock is supposed to be 98Y. Last time I looked the highest you'll find running 245 (I forget the aspect needed for 245) is a 92Y. Bumping up to 255 gets you to 95Y. Similar issue with the rear. 295 will reach 97Y. After installing the 295 tires I feel there's still enough room to put 305/30 on the back but haven't tried it yet. 305/30R22 are made with load ratings higher than 98.

Tomas has an older P85 which may increase his risk of damage. I noticed when driving a 2015 P85D loaner the ride was terrible with 21" but my late 2017 100D build is much softer with 22" wheels. Why? Who knows but imo Tesla must have changed something.

Great into Steve! Thank you this helped in me making my decision. Are those Koko Kuture Kapan am I correct? Is it worth trying to do the 305 on there or play it safe?

Reactions: EVSteve
Great into Steve! Thank you this helped in me making my decision. Are those Koko Kuture Kapan am I correct? Is it worth trying to do the 305 on there or play it safe?

Yes, Koko Kapans in silver. I haven’t attempted the 305 yet but there’s no rubbing on the rear with 295 even with UP’s lowering brackets in the low setting (low setting causes the camber to tilt in a bit) if you do attempt 305s let me know.

Still trying to understand these posts from people who claim blowout anarchy from potholes on 22” wheels. I live in Northeast PA. Snowy roads, pothole city. Just pay attention on unfamiliar roads. In my opinion the wide tire cross section helps. Granted I did dent a wheel this spring but the tire held and was still drivable after a 55mph direct hit in an unavoidable narrow blind curve. Simple repair, no big deal. WSi had a new wheel with tire mounted out to me in a week.

E4A101D2-A5F0-4C3A-89AB-090797BB1DE4.jpeg

Hi EVSteve, I know this is an old post, but wanted to ask you for the tire brand and front/rear tire sizes for your rims on the Red Tesla. Beautiful look and what i'm looking for.

Thanks.
Thanks Olperez much appreciated,

Colindo is correct they are Pirelli however I have since switched to Continental DSW for all season and longer wear. Imo the Pirelli are somewhat fragile and have horrible treadwear. They were what tire my wheel guy had in stock at the time of order but I wouldn't use them again.

Size is 255/30R22 on the front and 295/25R22 on the rear.

Yes, Koko Kapans in silver. I haven’t attempted the 305 yet but there’s no rubbing on the rear with 295 even with UP’s lowering brackets in the low setting (low setting causes the camber to tilt in a bit) if you do attempt 305s let me know.

Still trying to understand these posts from people who claim blowout anarchy from potholes on 22” wheels. I live in Northeast PA. Snowy roads, pothole city. Just pay attention on unfamiliar roads. In my opinion the wide tire cross section helps. Granted I did dent a wheel this spring but the tire held and was still drivable after a 55mph direct hit in an unavoidable narrow blind curve. Simple repair, no big deal. WSi had a new wheel with tire mounted out to me in a week.

View attachment 428449

Can that kind of damage be repaired? I have a bend in one of my 22" wheels in the same spot - though granted much smaller - and haven't gone about doing anything about it yet because the tire's fine and holds air like it never happened.

Can that kind of damage be repaired? I have a bend in one of my 22" wheels in the same spot - though granted much smaller - and haven't gone about doing anything about it yet because the tire's fine and holds air like it never happened.

It can be and I did take the wheel in to be repaired. I keep it around as a full size spare just in case. Especially if it holds air the bend is likely just cosmetic.