Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24 Hours with Base Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was unfamiliar with the AB option on the 3 (had to look it up) and wish it made sense to own both a 3 and S (as you have in your garage). I enjoy driving smaller cars, especially the roadster variety, but as a daily driver it seems a large sedan is more appropriate.
Maybe when my teenage daughters are off to college I’ll have space for another roadster. I’d certainly like to own a Tesla Roadster, but just a bit out of my comfort zone, financially, for either the OG or the forever promised 202? Model.

I think I read Tesla’s head of design came from Mazda?
The AB option is a great option for those of us who want to maintain the full factory warranty by not going for Ingenex's aftermarket harness option. The extra 50 or so HP you get gets you 0-60 in 3.7 seconds with no silly rollout time subtraction. It also livens up throttle tip in response making the car more reactive.

Personally, I love small cars and have always owned smaller cars as I live close to the city and it helps with parking in town. But the S fits the bill for when we take long road trips. I look my wife and 3 kids to Ottawa and Toronto right after I picked up the car and it was incredibly relaxing with the better dampened suspension and much quieter interior vs the 3. We were able to pack luggage for all 5 of us with the larger trunk and hatch setup.

I am not aware of Tesla's head of design coming from Mazda. That would be interesting. I will have to go look that up. Mazda Kodo design language is beautiful and their ability to tune their chassis is what always got me to love their offerings. They used to run their Zoom Zoom events all over the country where you got to autocross their vehicles including the RX-7, which was an amazing handling car. But I would never own one due to the rotary engine that it came with which was notoriously known for oil consumption.

I've always said...

Model S is a Grand Tourer...big, heavy, comfortable highway bruiser with some umph under the hood.

Model 3 is a Go Kart...small, light(er), and stiff, but fun to toss around and zip through corners. And still fast!

I had a BMW E39 M5 until recently, and sold it for a BMW E46 M3....same sort of transition. One is big, powerful, and comfortable, the other is zippy and nimble.

Both great cars, with different focuses!
I could not have said it better myself! The E46 is absolutely gorgeous! I had a F30 340ix Sport with the B58 motor with an aftermarket Eibach/Bilstein setup and just loved the way the car handled. It's why I got my Model 3 LR with AB as a replacement back in 2021. It was so incredibly nimble and was downright faster. The suspension from the factory is definitely tuned for comfort but that's an easy fix with MPP aftermarket options available.

My new S LR ended up replacing my Mazda CX-9 SUV with more comfort, amenities and nearly equal space once you factor in the frunk and sub trunk with the same convenience of a hatch for most of my IKEA runs. And it's massive faster and better handling to boot. I wanted the Plaid but living in a place with so much bummer to bumper traffic daily and using the car for family duties, the LR was just the ticket.

Imagine CX9 to MS
Seems with the move to EVs, people reboot their mind for the next vehicle type
Congrats

Btw. this is what terrifies Ford
Random buys going to the Cybertruck
That's right. I went from an SUV to a large sedan because it had almost the same functionality (minus the 3rd row seats which seldomly get used) but with superior tech, amenities and utility with rear hatch and fold down 2nd row seats. Gone are the days or spending $200/month on regular gas. That and 3 years of FREE supercharging sweetened the deal :)

It’s amazing and how Tesla, Rivian, and other disruptors are considered along with legacy auto

Think legacy auto is pissed the buyers are considering these disruptors
Mary Barra shows this attitude when she has to bow to them. It’s like she feels, are you kidding me