Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24 Hours with Base Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SR+ is the lightest Tesla there is and doesn't have a heavy motor up front which makes it want to rotate on turns so much more. It's essentially not overpowering the chassis, which was what BMW used to pride themselves on doing with their RWD models. Like they aways say, it's ALWAYS more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Reactions: El joe and Mayer
The SR+ is the lightest Tesla there is and doesn't have a heavy motor up front which makes it want to rotate on turns so much more. It's essentially not overpowering the chassis, which was what BMW used to pride themselves on doing with their RWD models. Like they aways say, it's ALWAYS more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
Absolutely true.
I’ve owned four Miata’s and a Boxster.
The S has far greater acceleration but not the same fun.
The 3 was definitely familiar.

Reactions: dsc888
Absolutely true.
I’ve owned four Miata’s and a Boxster.
The S has far greater acceleration but not the same fun.
The 3 was definitely familiar.
Great collection of cars you got there. I always dreamed of getting a Miata for the weekend. I traded in a CX-9 for my new 2023 S LR. I have a 2021 3 LR with AB which now the wife drives but is an absolutely hoot to drive with it's quick steering ration and aggressive throttle tip in with the AB upgrade. The S is my daily driver and great family trip cruiser. But the Boxster must have been incredible fun on back roads.

Great collection of cars you got there. I always dreamed of getting a Miata for the weekend. I traded in a CX-9 for my new 2023 S LR. I have a 2021 3 LR with AB which now the wife drives but is an absolutely hoot to drive with it's quick steering ration and aggressive throttle tip in with the AB upgrade. The S is my daily driver and great family trip cruiser. But the Boxster must have been incredible fun on back roads.
I was unfamiliar with the AB option on the 3 (had to look it up) and wish it made sense to own both a 3 and S (as you have in your garage). I enjoy driving smaller cars, especially the roadster variety, but as a daily driver it seems a large sedan is more appropriate.
Maybe when my teenage daughters are off to college I’ll have space for another roadster. I’d certainly like to own a Tesla Roadster, but just a bit out of my comfort zone, financially, for either the OG or the forever promised 202? Model.

I think I read Tesla’s head of design came from Mazda?

I've always said...

Model S is a Grand Tourer...big, heavy, comfortable highway bruiser with some umph under the hood.

Model 3 is a Go Kart...small, light(er), and stiff, but fun to toss around and zip through corners. And still fast!

I had a BMW E39 M5 until recently, and sold it for a BMW E46 M3....same sort of transition. One is big, powerful, and comfortable, the other is zippy and nimble.

Both great cars, with different focuses!

Reactions: dsc888 and Mayer
Just saw this thread. I had one of these as a loaner while my Plaid was in. I split my time driving between an M3 LR w/AB and the MS Plaid.

My first reaction was how slow the SR was off the line. Not even comparing it to the Plaid. For the first 5 minutes driving it I wanted to take it back. About 40 mph, it felt like the acceleration finely woke up. Actually reminded of my 2022 MS LR in that respect. It was pretty slow to about 40 mph and then finally accelerated like you think a 700HP sedan would.

I decided to engage slip start so I could enjoy the car a bit more. With the ability to spin off the line, it was a lot more fun. While it is lighter than our M3 LR it didn't feel as composed. That is likely due to the MPP coilovers we have on it which really turns it into an even more fun to drive car.

I thought of my MS LR more as a GT car as Aggmeister said. The Plaid changes that thought. When you put it in track mode and let the torque vectoring kick in, it really transforms the dynamics of the car. It feels like it sheds a ton of weight. I wish the track pack was available for all of the sedans.

What is really appealing is finding a M3 SR+ with the right rear motor (980) with the right battery and doing the Ingenext upgrade to it. That would be a blast to drive.

Here are some of the things you'd get with it. Some of these options aren't available in the SR+ so nice to have. Some aren't available in the any non-P mode like the drift mode. Plus you get a 50 HP boost which knocks about 0.6 seconds off the 0-60 time.
  • Heated rear seat
  • Ambient lights
  • Regen control
  • Automatic driver door opening
  • Automatic frunk and trunk opening with proximity sensors
  • Drift mode
  • Heated steering wheel (If your car is compatible)
  • Fog lights
  • Battery pack heating
  • Improves throttle sensitivity & Reduced response time
  • Hard reset
  • Manual wiper control

Reactions: Mayer
Just saw this thread. I had one of these as a loaner while my Plaid was in. I split my time driving between an M3 LR w/AB and the MS Plaid.

My first reaction was how slow the SR was off the line. Not even comparing it to the Plaid. For the first 5 minutes driving it I wanted to take it back. About 40 mph, it felt like the acceleration finely woke up. Actually reminded of my 2022 MS LR in that respect. It was pretty slow to about 40 mph and then finally accelerated like you think a 700HP sedan would.

I decided to engage slip start so I could enjoy the car a bit more. With the ability to spin off the line, it was a lot more fun. While it is lighter than our M3 LR it didn't feel as composed. That is likely due to the MPP coilovers we have on it which really turns it into an even more fun to drive car.

I thought of my MS LR more as a GT car as Aggmeister said. The Plaid changes that thought. When you put it in track mode and let the torque vectoring kick in, it really transforms the dynamics of the car. It feels like it sheds a ton of weight. I wish the track pack was available for all of the sedans.

What is really appealing is finding a M3 SR+ with the right rear motor (980) with the right battery and doing the Ingenext upgrade to it. That would be a blast to drive.

Here are some of the things you'd get with it. Some of these options aren't available in the SR+ so nice to have. Some aren't available in the any non-P mode like the drift mode. Plus you get a 50 HP boost which knocks about 0.6 seconds off the 0-60 time.
  • Heated rear seat
  • Ambient lights
  • Regen control
  • Automatic driver door opening
  • Automatic frunk and trunk opening with proximity sensors
  • Drift mode
  • Heated steering wheel (If your car is compatible)
  • Fog lights
  • Battery pack heating
  • Improves throttle sensitivity & Reduced response time
  • Hard reset
  • Manual wiper control
i will keep those points in mind although I suspect when I pull the trigger on an M3, it will be for someone’s daily driver; four kids ages 15-23. I think an M3 will work out well as another set of wheels for the fam.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Surprisingly, great ride!

There’s loads of SR Model 3’s here for sale sitting in lots for months. No one wants them, even at slashed prices. I personally believe your demographic is truly dependent on what type of weather conditions one experiences that would want the Dual Motor AWD or if you live where snow is non-existent, then SR would be an easy choice, assuming you don’t need/want the extra power from the dual-motor.

There’s loads of SR Model 3’s here for sale sitting in lots for months. No one wants them, even at slashed prices. I personally believe your demographic is truly dependent on what type of weather conditions one experiences that would want the Dual Motor AWD or if you live where snow is non-existent, then SR would be an easy choice, assuming you don’t need/want the extra power from the dual-motor.
Got my 20 year olds M3RWDs as bridge vehicles until they can buy their own M2s
i call them bridge cars

Got my 20 year olds M3RWDs as bridge vehicles until they can buy their own M2s
i call them bridge cars
That is precisely where my head is on the issue.
My 23 year old has a 5 year old Acura ILX. Maybe I buy the Acura from my oldest for top dollar for my soon to be 16 year old, and my 23 year old buys a new M3 and captures the $7,500 tax credit.

AWD likely necessary in Wisconsin. Needed but not necessary here in Pennsylvania. 🤔

Yes, one of them got the hand me down 20 year old Toy Landcruiser and they were into five accidents in 18 months, I had to stop the madness
Moved that one to rhe M3 and no accidents in eight months, LC was just too big

Fun thing giving a Tesla to a 20 year old, no learning curve, just automatic adoption
Easy pezy

My 16yo is just starting on his learner’s permit. He’s going to end up with my Model 3 (2019 LR). Seems like a great car for a young driver, when engaged in Chill mode. He doesn’t need the acceleration of the full open motors.

That gave me an opportunity to pick up an S LR for myself.

I’m not a racer - just a routine dad-taxi - so S LR is more than enough horsepower for me. I live in the land of traffic; no idea what I’d even do with more HP. No tracks nearby, not even a drag strip anymore.

But anyway — back to my original point … Model 3 is a great midsize car and the only thing that IMO makes sense for newer drivers. Only thing that bugs me after driving the S since January is how *loud* it is. I know the newer models have better insulation but that early ‘19 is just full of road and wind noise.

Tips I guide them:

Wide turns
No tail gating, without PPF
No speeding or I get the alert
Park away, long walk through the parking lot, no one next to you, either side
Wash frequently, teach them two bucket wash
Put up windshield Sun shade when parked
No eating inside
A lot of precautions

Don’t install the Magbak display phone mount, force them to put the phone away in rhe wireless tray

Drive with them in the T and watch
Coach

Also, make sure you load up their vehicles with the protections:
I did not do 3D mats in theirs, I did Lasfit to save money (use coupon codes)
I did not do PPF due to cost and is a bridge vehicle
Did poor man’s ceramic outside
I leave baby wipes in rhe vehicle
I have the 19” sport wheels, I installed Uber covers already curb rashed 2x
Door still protectors
Quality Ceramiced all inside surfaces
Etc

You know rhe drill
Inspect and coach frequently
Good luck

Yes, one of them got the hand me down 20 year old Toy Landcruiser and they were into five accidents in 18 months, I had to stop the madness
Moved that one to rhe M3 and no accidents in eight months, LC was just too big

Fun thing giving a Tesla to a 20 year old, no learning curve, just automatic adoption
Easy pezy
Ha! We also have a 2013 Land Cruiser we use for the dog walks and moving trash to curb. Third one we’ve owned too.

But the M3 is the right fit, no doubt