Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ABS Feel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
Twice so far, when doing an abrupt stop in the wet, the car skid a bit without the typical vibration that you feel with ABS. Is that the way the Model 3 ABS is supposed to feel? If not, I wonder if there’s something wrong with my ABS.

I have never felt ABS vibration in my Model 3.

It's pretty normal. See if you can try on a really wet surface, loose gravel, or surface with lots of wet leaves - stand on the brake pedal. Snow/Ice would work too. You'll hear and feel it more. Tesla has a nicer ABS system, plus the extra weight means there's less ABS engagement in general due to having more grip. If you've driven some higher end european cars you may be used to the lack of ABS feel. If you drive some other American or Japanese cars, the ABS feel and noise is usually quite intrusive.

It's pretty normal. See if you can try on a really wet surface, loose gravel, or surface with lots of wet leaves - stand on the brake pedal. Snow/Ice would work too. You'll hear and feel it more. Tesla has a nicer ABS system, plus the extra weight means there's less ABS engagement in general due to having more grip. If you've driven some higher end european cars you may be used to the lack of ABS feel. If you drive some other American or Japanese cars, the ABS feel and noise is usually quite intrusive.

Sounds like what the OP is describing is the opposite of ABS. He is saying it's skidding, which would mean the wheels are locking up.

To the OP, have someone film you with their phone while you brake hard on a wet surface to see if the wheels really are locking up, i.e. not anti-lock braking. Shouldn't have any skidding with ABS because skidding is not braking, it's sliding.

Yeah, cars I’ve had in the past had a very noticeable vibration in the brake pedal when ABS engaged. My Model 3 doesn’t skid badly, but it feels like it does a little and no vibration from the pedal.

Thanks guys.