Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 M3 LR+AB feels faster then 2020 M3 LR+AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so I was originally purchasing 2018 M3 LR with AB but found a lot of rust on body so did refuse to take the delivery and went with 2020 M3 LR with AB but while I was waiting for paper work to be done, I had chance to drive that 2018 M3 for a week, and after I got my 2020 M3 LR with AB, I noticed how 2018 feel faster then 2020 in terems of acceleration, also the drive feeling. 2018 felt more firm and raw compare to 2020 feel more comfortable and soft. acceleration difference was noticeably different. were there any change during the production model year that made this kind of difference of driving experience? I mean even with 980 vs 990 its should have same acceleration feeling stock unless that 2018 had ghost chip installed?

Were both cars at the same state of charge? That can make a pretty dramatic difference to acceleration.

Suspension - wouldn't be surprised if they made some suspension changes over the years. Otherwise the firm/raw feeling on the 2018 might have just been worn out dampers and bushings.

Were both cars at the same state of charge? That can make a pretty dramatic difference to acceleration.

Suspension - wouldn't be surprised if they made some suspension changes over the years. Otherwise the firm/raw feeling on the 2018 might have just been worn out dampers and bushings.
yes i kept them at 80% charge. maybe I should test out 0 to 60 time of my 2020 see if 2020 is slow or that 2018 was faster then it supposed to be.

The 2018 IS faster

In early-mid 2020 tesla changed the motor from the 980 (performance motor) to the 990, some 2020's got the 980 (mine has it, early 2020) from there on the LR got the 990, its capable of less power.

This is why if you go to Ingenext's website they specifically ask if your car has the 980, you can't do the ghost upgrade on the 990.

The 2018 IS faster

In early-mid 2020 tesla changed the motor from the 980 (performance motor) to the 990, some 2020's got the 980 (mine has it, early 2020) from there on the LR got the 990, its capable of less power.

This is why if you go to Ingenext's website they specifically ask if your car has the 980, you can't do the ghost upgrade on the 990.
but if both are stock should they still be same as 980 would have software restriction?

Torque comes on earlier and harder with the 980, this is shown on dyno.

They aren't the same, tesla tries to make them the same and hopes no one pays attention. If you want performance a 2019 is the best, has the best hardware and wasn't year 1 build.
that explains my butt dyno feeling on 2018 vs 2020. I already took 2020 so I will be stuck with 990 then haha it sucks I get less with bit more money, but I am so much more happier with body condition on 2020 so willing to lose 980. maybe I will just buy performance next time lol

that explains my butt dyno feeling on 2018 vs 2020. I already took 2020 so I will be stuck with 990 then haha it sucks I get less with bit more money, but I am so much more happier with body condition on 2020 so willing to lose 980. maybe I will just buy performance next time lol
The bad part isn't really the loss between the 2, its the potential of the 980. You can get the ghost unit from ingenext for the 980 and add 160hp.

The early M3s have very different number of welding spots on the main body and the outer body. That's why they feel rigid. However, the body manufacturing for those models were kind of experimental because they have changed a lot of welding method along with stamping method and number of panels for each section.

Did you actually time the two cars?
not really. I thought that 2018 was normal when I was driving that. but it seems like my 2020 is slow, as it gave me 4.95s 0-60 time which is way out of spec(also has acceleration boost). I did have OAA on at the time not knowing about that so I will give another shot without OAA. I did noticed better throttle response with OAA off so finger crossed.

not really. I thought that 2018 was normal when I was driving that. but it seems like my 2020 is slow, as it gave me 4.95s 0-60 time which is way out of spec(also has acceleration boost). I did have OAA on at the time not knowing about that so I will give another shot without OAA. I did noticed better throttle response with OAA off so finger crossed.
I get 3.7‐3.9 on my 2020 LR boosted with 990

Honestly, I timed mine twice, and never cared about it after that. 0-60 timing chews your tire, degrades your battery faster and wears out your motor. I suggest focus more on efficient driving and energy saving.
yea for sure. I prefer good efficiency as I bought it as daily commute car. but gotta check if everything is in normal condition before my warranty ends :)

Reactions: shahryaran
That certainly seems too slow. Even a non-boosted LR is supposed to do 0-60 in 4.5 or so, right?

Torque comes on earlier and harder with the 980, this is shown on dyno.

Can you show the dynos in question? That is, a difference between 980 vs 990 on the same config of car (ie an LR with AB vs an LR with AB)?

To my knowledge AB on an LR should be exactly the same on either (and Ingenext sells the same boost for both, they don't even ask which motor you have-- the only time they care about your motor is for the ghost mod, which is equivalent of a P, not an LR-AB)

yea for sure. I prefer good efficiency as I bought it as daily commute car. but gotta check if everything is in normal condition before my warranty ends :)
True
Can you show the dynos in question? That is, a difference between 980 vs 990 on the same config of car (ie an LR with AB vs an LR with AB)?

To my knowledge AB on an LR should be exactly the same on either (and Ingenext sells the same boost for both, they don't even ask which motor you have-- the only time they care about your motor is for the ghost mod, which is equivalent of a P, not an LR-AB)
980 motors have a different rotor and different inverter that has about 80A higher load capacity