Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few hours ago I was backed into in a parking lot. The damage doesn't look serious, scratches on the bumper and rear quarter panel and a dent in the rear quarter panel, but the car is only a few months old and with the horror stories I've heard about what it costs to repair these things I'm feeling a bit stressed - even though the other driver is at fault (backed out of their space into my car.) Contacted insurance, etc. and I'm sure I will know more in a day or two.

Attached is a picture of what the damage looks like (after I washed the car to get a better look). This is pretty much the angle that makes it the most obvious - straight on from the side of the car it is much harder to notice.

As far as I can tell the quarter panel is welded (?) to the hatch - how do they fix these things if the panels are attached like this before the car was even painted? Any guess on what it will cost to repair? Is fixing this even a good idea in terms of relatively minor damage vs. having the accident repair on the car's record?

Can anyone recommend a good Tesla body shop around Bellevue, WA?

Attachments

• IMG_20170704_132646.jpg
    IMG_20170704_132646.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: DC Autocraft
Attempt to get professional paintless dent removal for the dent. It might be able to be pushed out from inside the trunk area or removed with their other amazing techniques.

Similar scratch damage occurred to my P85 on the lower bumper. A Tesla approved body shop did a touchup for $50 in SoCal. It's not perfect, but looks great in photos and only noticeable if you examine the area. They told me it wouldn't last forever, but for now I am pleased.

Thanks. When places open back up tomorrow I may take to Service King in Bellevue which appears to be on Tesla's list and apparently does paintless dent removal and will see what they say. Has anyone had their car repaired at this place?

Thanks. When places open back up tomorrow I may take to Service King in Bellevue which appears to be on Tesla's list and apparently does paintless dent removal and will see what they say. Has anyone had their car repaired at this place?
While not very close to Bellevue, I highly recommend Pacific Auto Body down in industrial district (across the street from Tesla service center). They're Tesla certified and have done excellent repair work on my car.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went and got a few estimates today, including Pacific Auto Body in Seattle and a paintless dent removal estimate from a place in Bellevue. Service King is ... nuts, they scheduled an appointment for an estimate 2 weeks out, then I drove to four other places which all gave me estimates on the spot.

Pacific Auto Body gave an estimate a bit over $6500. Will wait for insurance to give me a clear indication that the other party has accepted liability before I proceed.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went and got a few estimates today, including Pacific Auto Body in Seattle and a paintless dent removal estimate from a place in Bellevue. Service King is ... nuts, they scheduled an appointment for an estimate 2 weeks out, then I drove to four other places which all gave me estimates on the spot.

Pacific Auto Body gave an estimate a bit over $6500. Will wait for insurance to give me a clear indication that the other party has accepted liability before I proceed.
I'm sitting on a $22k repair after a 16 year old rear ended me, plus I'll be without my car for 4-6 weeks. To answer your previous question they basically replace the panels when they get a big enough dent because it's less expensive than trying to do body work. Seems like you got lucky in that regard.

The other person's insurance took responsibility, but then sent me to their shop to compare with the Pacific Auto Body estimate. The shop they sent me to isn't familiar with Tesla and gave an estimate just under 2k (compared to Pacific's 6.5k). The truth may be somewhere in between, but this seems like it may become an ugly argument with their insurance company. I'm not sure what value an estimate is from an auto body shop not qualified to actually fix the car.

The other person's insurance took responsibility, but then sent me to their shop to compare with the Pacific Auto Body estimate. The shop they sent me to isn't familiar with Tesla and gave an estimate just under 2k (compared to Pacific's 6.5k). The truth may be somewhere in between, but this seems like it may become an ugly argument with their insurance company. I'm not sure what value an estimate is from an auto body shop not qualified to actually fix the car.
You are allowed to go to any body shop you want. They are allowed to recommend shops but not force you to go to a shop

Reasons that just any body shop can't work on a Tesla:

1. Aluminum dust is explosive and equipment to remove that dust safely from the work environment is very expensive.

2. Tesla uses specific riveting and bonding techniques to attach panels, and the shop must be trained and have the proper tools.

3. Aluminum requires separate work space so no stray steel particles contaminate the work.

4. Training is necessary to manage and maintain the battery pack while in the shop.

5. There are probably more, but if the above is not met, then Tesla will not release parts to a non-certified shop.

Last edited:
Find an authorized repair center.
1. Get an estimate
2. Have your insurance come out and talk to them and confirm the estimate
3. Have repair shop order all parts and drive your car until they are in
4. Wait 2-4 weeks for repair

Cost for a panel and bumper repair, I'd guess around $5-8K

Trust me, I've had two accidents not my fault. Last one similar to yours about 3 months ago, $5k to fix