Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Front Lighting System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, it’s not my car. It’s remarkably consistent behavior across 10+ teslas I’ve driven, S/X, 3/Y, hw3 and 4 alike. Every legacy manufacturer does so much better. S/X don’t force them with autopilot so it wasn’t nearly as annoying as the 3/Y

Difference likely comes down to the roads we drive or us just having a different tolerance for poor performance. Either way, there is zero reason a feature that isn’t tied to high beams should force the use of auto highbeams. And it’s just poor design to not let you be able to force the highbeams on when using the auto brights.
What a crazy coincidence that you've driven one more Tesla than I've owned. What are the odds? ROFL

I lose. I guess my consolation prize is flawlessly performing auto high beams. Seriously though, you're the first person I've ever heard complain about them.

The way you presented it as of it was a known fact and Tesla can't figure it out so it's not possible for anyone else to have a flawless experience was *chef's kiss*

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
What a crazy coincidence that you've driven one more Tesla than I've owned. What are the odds? ROFL

I lose. I guess my consolation prize is flawlessly performing auto high beams. Seriously though, you're the first person I've ever heard complain about them.

The way you presented it as of it was a known fact and Tesla can't figure it out so it's not possible for anyone else to have a flawless experience was *chef's kiss*
You haven’t looked very hard then. Many complaints on this forum alone, even more on other discussion groups.

But sure, imply I’m a liar just because I’ve driven more teslas than you and think the auto highbeams are awful.

You haven’t looked very hard then. Many complaints on this forum alone, even more on other discussion groups.

But sure, imply I’m a liar just because I’ve driven more teslas than you and think the auto highbeams are awful.
A couple of things. First, I have never had issues with auto high beams either in the four teslas I’ve owned since 2015.

Second, with matrix headlights, when enabled in adaptive mode, high beams are _always_ on. Only the pixels that would otherwise blind oncoming traffic or pedestrians are turned off when needed. Stating that you want to have manual control of this is nonsensical.

A couple of things. First, I have never had issues with auto high beams either in the four teslas I’ve owned since 2015.

Second, with matrix headlights, when enabled in adaptive mode, high beams are _always_ on. Only the pixels that would otherwise blind oncoming traffic or pedestrians are turned off when needed. Stating that you want to have manual control of this is nonsensical.
Don't try to explain how things actually work to that one using logic & facts. He's driven more Teslas then you or I combined! He knows everything!

Accusing you of being a liar would require that I believe you know what you're talking about and are merely choosing to be deceptive. I made no such claim.

This is not true for US cars since they don’t have the matrix feature. There is zero reason for cornering lights, which is the feature being discussed, to require auto highbeams.
Don't try to explain how things actually work to that one using logic & facts. He's driven more Teslas then you or I combined! He knows everything!
Accusing you of being a liar would require that I believe you know what you're talking about and are merely choosing to be deceptive. I made no such claim.
Clearly I know more than you, since you don’t seem to realize there’s a difference between adaptive high beams and AFS.

Clearly I know more than you
Keep telling yourself that. Classic case of not knowing what you don't know and still professing to be the expert while shouting down anyone who actually knows the subject and offers to enlighten you in case you want to get it right. Instead, you want to be right even if you aren't. Good luck with that attitude.

Wtf are you talking about?
Sigh, let me dumb this down for you.

Several distinct features being discussed which neither you nor @Ostrichsak seem to be capable of differentiating.

1) Auto high beams — this is what all teslas have in the US, and what non matrix cars have in the rest of the world. The car will switch between low beams and high beams based on whether the cameras see traffic. Teslas implementation in my experience is poor and tends to flip them on / off at inappropriate times.

2) Adaptive high beams — what teslas with matrix lamps have in the rest of the world for several months now. The high beams are “always on” as you put it, and the car will attempt to selectively dim sections of the matrix LED array to illuminate the road without dazzling traffic or pedestrians. This is still not available on US spec cars

3) Adaptive headlights for curves — This is new as of 2024.20 and what is being discussed. The car will physically swivel the headlamps left and right based on steering angle and speed to better illuminate the road around curves. Tesla inexplicably is forcing this feature with one of the above (based on region) even though it is not dependent on high beams at all. Which I find disappointing because teslas implementation of auto high beams is poor.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Sigh, let me dumb this down for you.

Several distinct features being discussed which neither you nor @Ostrichsak seem to be capable of differentiating.

1) Auto high beams — this is what all teslas have in the US, and what non matrix cars have in the rest of the world. The car will switch between low beams and high beams based on whether the cameras see traffic. Teslas implementation in my experience is poor and tends to flip them on / off at inappropriate times.

2) Adaptive high beams — what teslas with matrix lamps have in the rest of the world for several months now. The high beams are “always on” as you put it, and the car will attempt to selectively dim sections of the matrix LED array to illuminate the road without dazzling traffic or pedestrians. This is still not available on US spec cars

3) Adaptive headlights for curves — This is new as of 2024.20 and what is being discussed. The car will physically swivel the headlamps left and right based on steering angle and speed to better illuminate the road around curves. Tesla inexplicably is forcing this feature with one of the above (based on region) even though it is not dependent on high beams at all. Which I find disappointing because teslas implementation of auto high beams is poor.
Nobody is going to read your post if you lead off like that.

Speak to me like an adult and we can talk

Got 20.1 this week, and a new yoke today.

Can anyone verify the new feature of seeing around corners works? Tried it in the garage, and saw nothing, with adaptive on and off. Of course it could be that as described in the release notes, it needs more than just steering input, but a speed and yaw rate as well.

Not to add fuel to the prior discussion, but two things can be true at the same time. My adaptive lights are responsive, but I get flashed by incoming traffic often. I suspect the headlights are set too high, need to correct this per the SM when I can find some level ground and a wall.

It definitely doesn’t do anything when at a standstill from what I can tell. If it is moving while driving, it’s not as noticeable as it was on my BMWs and such, but with it basically being summer now it’s not quite getting dark enough during my commute for me to really get a good sense of it.