Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a stock oem subwoofer to Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Tesla Model s 75 with the base audio. This system has hardly any bass. I would really like to add just a little bit of low end. Don't need to go crazy with replacing all the speakers. I see on eBay that you can get OEM model S subwoofers for very cheap that come in the speaker box. Does anybody know if a base audio system could incorporate the oem subwoofer? Do I also need to buy an amplifier or anything else to get it to work? Here is an example of the oem speakers on eBay. There are tons listed.

I wouldn't say fairly easy since you need to run power from the 12v up front all the way to the amp. You'll also need to pick up signal by splicing into the front channels' speaker wire. I normally do all stereo installs myself but when I had the NVX setup in my 2015 I just punted and took it to a shop.

I wouldn't say fairly easy since you need to run power from the 12v up front all the way to the amp. You'll also need to pick up signal by splicing into the front channels' speaker wire. I normally do all stereo installs myself but when I had the NVX setup in my 2015 I just punted and took it to a shop.
Ok good to know! One more option. This is definitely the cheaper option. There is also several oem Tesla model s subwoofers on eBay that are already in the enclosure or box. Do you know if this would simply fit in the area in the trunk that is available where the subwoofer would go? Since I have the standard audio system that trunk area on the passenger side is just open here is a link to what I am referring to on eBay.

I made the mistake of installing an aftermarket sub in the factory sub enclosure with an amplifier. I would not recommend going that route! The installation was done by a reputable Autosound franchise. Deemed a total loss by my insurance. I didn’t have any issues with the stereo system for 2 years until this happened. It had to be a short circuit of some sort. My car was parked in the garage unplugged and I hadn’t driven it for about 24 hours. Thank god the car wasn’t fully engulfed when I got home or I would have lost my house. I had to manually pull open the rear hatch because of the melted plastic. My insurance never gave me a clearcut answer as to the cause of the damage but i was content with the final settlement so I didn’t question it.

0F9334BE-2038-425C-94AB-54C88BCCF810.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
I made the mistake of installing an aftermarket sub in the factory sub enclosure with an amplifier. I would not recommend going that route! The installation was done by a reputable Autosound franchise. Deemed a total loss by my insurance. I didn’t have any issues with the stereo system for 2 years until this happened. It had to be a short circuit of some sort. My car was parked in the garage unplugged and I hadn’t driven it for about 24 hours. Thank god the car wasn’t fully engulfed when I got home or I would have lost my house. I had to manually pull open the rear hatch because of the melted plastic. My insurance never gave me a clearcut answer as to the cause of the damage but i was content with the final settlement so I didn’t question it.

View attachment 1057006
Wow. Thanks for sharing; I'm sure a lot of folks would just be silent on such an occurrence. I wish we knew what happened because my first guess would have been the speaker wire crossed and caused a spark, but that would mean the amp would have to be on. Where was the amp and sub located? Perhaps the 12V system turned on to do something and either the amp malfunctioned or power and ground crossed.

Sounds like the power wire shorted from chaffing.
If the car had been sitting for 24 hrs the amp would be cold.
The installer probably didn't put a breaker at the amp and one at the battery.
I have the 2021 Refresh that requires an extra battery due to the small size of the oem 15.5 volt battery.
I have a breaker off a harness near the battery and one in front of the rear battery as well as a 3rd breaker running to my CT amp.
CT amps run pretty cool even when turned up full.

Under hood

At rear battery

Added rubber cap on rear battery + terminal.