Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Affordable cover (carport/car tent)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone.

About to pick up my red M3 soon. First Tesla. Very, very excited. Anyone park their car outside and thought about purchasing some kind of protection from the sun/rain, etc. with a roof like a tent? My brother has a car tent for his Lexus and the cloth on the roof ripped in several areas after a year or so. I thought about a hard roof top but those are in the thousands.

Would appreciate any recommendations. Or if you think that this is unnecessary, would like to hear that as well.

Also for more context, I live in SoCal and possibly will get ceramic coating with an Xpel clear bra when I have more funds available.

Thanks!

I recently moved into a house where I won't be able to park my 3 when it arrives. I have been toying with a carport/tent setup as I will have to deal with snow here but I think it might be unnecessary and I don't really know where I would put it. I hate to have it live outside but I don't know that I have a choice. I'm also concerned about charging outside as I wasn't planning on purchasing a HPWC. I'm interested to see if anyone has any ideas.

Hello everyone.

About to pick up my red M3 soon. First Tesla. Very, very excited. Anyone park their car outside and thought about purchasing some kind of protection from the sun/rain, etc. with a roof like a tent? My brother has a car tent for his Lexus and the cloth on the roof ripped in several areas after a year or so. I thought about a hard roof top but those are in the thousands.

Would appreciate any recommendations. Or if you think that this is unnecessary, would like to hear that as well.

Also for more context, I live in SoCal and possibly will get ceramic coating with an Xpel clear bra when I have more funds available.

Thanks!

It seems like even the highest rated vinyl carports are a few hundred bucks. A quick google shows this at about $1k:

Metal Carport and Garage Kit Builder

Ultimately, for around $1k I think a metal frame/roof would be a better investment. Being in SoCal, what's the worst potential exposure? I wouldn't care too much about it being out in the sun (maybe get an interior shade if you keep stuff in your car), so that would leave rain and hail? Probably not worth the money, but imo it will be a personal preference.