Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket rims and resale value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this thread exists anywhere, but does anyone have an idea if/how swapping out the 19” Gemini’s for aftermarket rims affects the resale value. I’m assuming is very much a subjective matter in the sense that the new look of the vehicle with new rims will have to be appealing to a buyer, but has anyone seen any evidence that a move like this either helps or hurts resale value?

I think the current aftermarket value of Teslas in general has been taken down a notch so I doubt aftermarket rims will have significant impact. You can even include the 19" geminis as an "extra" alongside your aftermarket rims.

Also, this is not specific to just Teslas but usually folks that are buying a used car, in their mind, any "upgrades" done to a vehicle that is not OEM like, will likely lower the value of the car. You won't get 1:1 ROI unless you got some really sought after part installed that is universally loved.

Reactions: ord3r
I think the current aftermarket value of Teslas in general has been taken down a notch so I doubt aftermarket rims will have significant impact. You can even include the 19" geminis as an "extra" alongside your aftermarket rims.

Also, this is not specific to just Teslas but usually folks that are buying a used car, in their mind, any "upgrades" done to a vehicle that is not OEM like, will likely lower the value of the car. You won't get 1:1 ROI unless you got some really sought after part installed that is universally loved.
Yeah, I agree with all of this. As a buyer the last thing I want to see on a used car is modifications. Especially those that might change the ride or look of the vehicle. Something like a screen protector or all-weather rubber mats is okay. But any type of wheel, brake, suspension, and body mods quickly becomes a turnoff. I feel like the car may not ride or perform as it did straight from the factory and it's just not worth looking into it anymore unless the price is significantly lower than other vehicles with the same mileage & condition.

Suppose you are going to put aftermarket wheels on your car (and this is something Im still considering doing). Then my suggestion is to keep your factory wheels so that you can return the vehicle to stock when it's time to sell. If you do decide to sell the factory wheels/tires.. just know your aftermarket wheel choice was attractive to you.. but is probably a turn-off to other buyers. How much that actually affects the vehicle's resale value is very much YMMV.

Reactions: Pianewman and ord3r
I personally think it would only make a difference if you went with a larger wheel. Generally, folks with the performance models myself included would swap the 21-in wheels with smaller wheels for added comfort and range. That is a very popular modification and one that I don't think would affect resale at all. Now if you had a long range or performance model and swapped on larger wheels or tires that significantly reduce the range that could make it less appealing for a potential buyer.

So the short answer is I think it depends.