Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air cabin filter replacement 2019 model 3 Vancouver - do yourself or use Tesla mobile service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2 year old 2019 model 3 in Vancouver seems to be have recurring bad smells in the cabin so I assume it is time to change the air cabin filter. Looking at some youtube videos it seems to be a difficult process to change the air filter.

Has anyone used the mobile Tesla service to change their cabin air filter in Canada or Vancouver? If yes, how much did Tesla charge?

Alternatively, if I were to do it myself can anyone recommend which air filter to buy that is easiest to install? Are there any tips to make the air filter install easier?

Thanks for any information offered!!!

You can order them from the app for $46 a pair.
Screenshot_20211019-193711.png

I'm planning to do it myself not sure if it is difficult but I guess I'll find out soon enough :)

Reactions: spacemanrick
I'm sure that I will be chastised by those who can rotate and balance their tires with a blindfold on, but save yourself the effort and have Tesla do it. I ordered the filters and tried to do it myself. It is an extremely small and awkward opening. Specific tools are needed. I was unsuccessful as the install was not easy. I ended up having mobile service perform it. I suggest you have Tesla do it for you. I believe they charged $35.

Haha I am all thumbs so I know what you mean. With my luck I would try to install the cabin filter myself and break a part and have a repair that costs several hundred dollars :)

Thanks for the words of advice from someone who has tried this on their own!

Richard

Reactions: beezy
I just booked a mobile service appointment for November 3 with Tesla and confirmed the price for the air cabin filter change. The price was $46 for the filter and $27 for the service call to my house.

The service tech will also perform a recall service to "re-seal front upper control arm ball joints" while he is here. After tax it was only $80 so it was very reasonably priced! I checked with a friend who just changed his air cabin filter in his model 3 and he said it took him 2 hours plus the $46 air filter so I figured my time was worth the extra $30 plus they will do the re-call service while they are here anyways...

Reactions: Biscuitman
Just a heads up if you decide to do it yourself and you're smelling something sour from the vents, I would spray some AC condenser cleaner on the AC coils Armor All Vent & Duct Cleaner (they face towards the front of the car where you pull out the filters, so spray towards the rear of the car) and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. The foam will evaporate, but you can run the fan at max speed for 10 minutes just to air it out if you like.

This is a good video to see the process as well: How to change your Tesla Model 3 cabin filter

Good luck and take your time!

Reactions: spacemanrick
I just booked a mobile service appointment for November 3 with Tesla and confirmed the price for the air cabin filter change. The price was $46 for the filter and $27 for the service call to my house.

The service tech will also perform a recall service to "re-seal front upper control arm ball joints" while he is here. After tax it was only $80 so it was very reasonably priced! I checked with a friend who just changed his air cabin filter in his model 3 and he said it took him 2 hours plus the $46 air filter so I figured my time was worth the extra $30 plus they will do the re-call service while they are here anyways...
Did you know about the recall service before? Just wondering if I'm in the same situation in which case I'll get request mobile service.

I didn't know anything about the service to "re-seal front upper control arm ball joints" until it appeared on the $80 invoice estimate from Tesla for the cabin filter replacement. I am not sure if it is a recall service but I think it is probably more a technical service bulletin.

I looked up the difference between the 2 and this is what I found....The main difference is that a recall is issued by a vehicle manufacturer for issues that are safety-related, while a TSB covers components that may be malfunctioning but don't compromise the safety of the vehicle.

I didn't know anything about the service to "re-seal front upper control arm ball joints" until it appeared on the $80 invoice estimate from Tesla for the cabin filter replacement. I am not sure if it is a recall service but I think it is probably more a technical service bulletin.

I looked up the difference between the 2 and this is what I found....The main difference is that a recall is issued by a vehicle manufacturer for issues that are safety-related, while a TSB covers components that may be malfunctioning but don't compromise the safety of the vehicle.
It’s to stop them squeaking later on.