Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bad smell in cabin/rodent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 Model S has quite suddenly developed a very bad smell in the cabin when I first enter. The smell goes away pretty quickly after air filter is on. I had a mobile service guy come and change the filter. There was mouse scat in the filter, but the filter change did not fix the issue. I took it to the SC and was told they would do an extensive inspection. I approved a $700 estimate for this. They just called me and told me my car was done, but all they did was inspect the frunk. They are not charging me but they state that safety issues prevent them from doing any more in case there is a dead mouse some where. I have looked in all the obvious accessible places but couldn't find anything. I'm unfamiliar with how Teslas are put together and dont want to start taking off panels, etc. I'm hoping someone else has run into something similar that could offer some advice?

On a different car (an Acura MDX) I had on multiple events, caught a mouse in the HVAC squirrel cage. They usually got decapitated and stuck in the fan so it made a whop-whop noise when on. I would take it to the dealer to get extracted and a new fan installed. They always gave that job to the newbie mechanic and I could see them all laughing when the guy took it apart. They never told him what the issue really was, just that the fan needed replacing. :)