Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in a showroom today and I heard a gentleman ask if an air suspension was offered as an OTA upgrade on his Model S.

Bet ya some day that will be true. Sometimes it’s cheaper to make everything the same in hardware and enable it in software. There are many hardware features in Tesla’s that are software limited. Why not adaptive suspension too?

In fact if you think about it, cars change hands 2-3 times. The odds that one of those owners would want it, vs limiting only to the first owner. It would probably end up more people purchasing it (more cars having it enabled) if it was always installed and software enabled. So tempting with just a button on your phone too.

Reactions: theganjaguru
No concerns on reliability with air suspension vs standard? Seems like its just one more thing to break (though I don't know at all, I probably only have that impression from Bjorn Nyland's model X).

I'm just fine with the ride on the Model 3, and one of the things that brought me over to Tesla finally was the reduction in complexity from S / X to the 3.

Definitely no concerns on reliability from me. Had no air suspension problems on either my 2013 or my 2017 S's and I love and use it often - almost every time I park nose-in to a curb. Truly hope we can get air suspension on Y someday. Holding off a while waiting to see if that, towing capacity, and alcantara interior ever gets added. Would trade in husband's 3 for it.

ParisY - to be clear, i think we all agree the CURRENT Model Y does not have air, and that Elon says there are no plans to add air. BUT Sandy Munro found those mounts, and he knows what he is talking about. So, probably just a matter of time (a year or so?) until air is either standard or an option.

I figure I'll likely have either a 3 or a Y inside the next year or so. Right now I am "mentally" adding in about $2700 for MPP's comfort coilovers to either car (I assume we'll see their suspension offerings for the Y soon enough). The availability of air suspension (presumably a $2000-$2500 upgrade from Tesla) would have me debating that as an option. The Tesla dampers would likely be lower quality, but air has other benefits.